FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Texas in July: questions/advice?
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:59 pm
kemitx

Programs: UA Plat, HH G, PC Plat
Originally Posted by djmagnum
I was planing on staying one day in Corpus Christi, one day in Galveston (is it possible to do two in one day?) and spend the rest of my time in Austin. Ive never been to Texas, so no idea if its scenic or not, I will take your advice and fly into Houston.

Any recommendations for Galvenston/Corpus?
As others said, nothing interesting in the DFW-IAH drive. July is the time to be on the beach. The water is very nicely warm. The barrier islands around Corpus have very nice beaches (by TX standards, anyway). Some of that is state/national parks. It is possible to see some wildlife beyond the usual seagalls/pelicans in Galveston - other birds, perhaps a turtle in the water, perhaps even dolphins. There are some nice places to eat on or very close to the water. Moon Dog's in Rockport/Fulton and Doc's in Corpus are a couple. Corpus has USS Lexington and the TX State Aquarium, although you said you're not into museums.

Driving through the islands and coastal areas can be borderline scenic. At least I find seeing the ocean (Gulf) generally a positive view. It's all still Texas, however, so don't expect the refinement of the European Mediterranean or Hawaii or various other "aspirational" destinations.