FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Acer C720 Chromebook
View Single Post
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:21 pm
joe19924

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I've been using one for the past month and am very happy with it for the price I paid (free as part of a Vendor Seminar :-) ). Having used it now, I would be happy to part with the £199 that Google are asking at the moment.

It's replaced an ageing netbook that was beyond hope - even with a SSD and Linux Mint the processor was thrashing trying to run Chrome. Performance was not much better with Firefox or Opera.

My machine is used as a real "laptop" - I'm typing this on the sofa watching the kids watch TV. It's great for surfing, mail, FT and light office tasks. I would hate to think of typing this on a tablet - a reasonable screen and a keyboard for half the price of the same screen on a tablet makes it a no-brainer for me.

Performance has been fine, no problem loading up multiple pages on FT or other fora. Iplayer works well, sound is fine and screen is OK - it won't compete with the Retina display, but it's more than good enough. The mouse gestures on the touchpad make it very easy to use and naviate around. Google Apps are fine for basic editing. All of my extensions load and run fine in Chrome and the sync between all my devices is seamless - desktop, 2 laptops, Nexus 4&7.

I've taken it on a weekend's camping to check on work emails with a 3G wifi and it was fine. Very useful being able to type an extended reply - again something you can't do with a tablet unless you have an additional keyboard. Again, this is half the price of a tablet and compares well on weight.

The one gotcha may be printing on the road - no chance to simply plug in a USB. I've had no issues using cloud print on via my home desktop.

Post or PM if you have any specific questions - I'll be happy to answer them.
Great review - many thanks.

I'll be using it for much of the same as you as my gaming days are near enough over! Shame about Skype not working on it, however it won't be a complete replacement for laptops/computers so there's not too much of an issue there. I use Skype quite often due to my girlfriend living in China and being Chinese, therefore she is not allowed to be in England without employment sponsorship! If the great firewall decides they don't like Skype anymore than I'm in a tricky situation

Any cross-compatible (Win/ChromeOS) Skype-like pieces of software that anyone has used well?