Search

Acer C720 Chromebook

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Acer C720 Chromebook

Anyone got one of these?

Got 2 months planned in China and need a light-weight machine to take with me as I'm probably going to do some private English teaching lessons whilst there.

I've got a laptop but it's too heavy for travel as I've experienced on many occasions.

Also, I am UK based and obviously want the best price if anyone can recommend?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:01 am

As long as you are able to do everything you need to online you'll be fine. Have you ever used a Chromebook before?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I've been using one for the past month and am very happy with it for the price I paid (free as part of a Vendor Seminar :-) ). Having used it now, I would be happy to part with the £199 that Google are asking at the moment.

It's replaced an ageing netbook that was beyond hope - even with a SSD and Linux Mint the processor was thrashing trying to run Chrome. Performance was not much better with Firefox or Opera.

My machine is used as a real "laptop" - I'm typing this on the sofa watching the kids watch TV. It's great for surfing, mail, FT and light office tasks. I would hate to think of typing this on a tablet - a reasonable screen and a keyboard for half the price of the same screen on a tablet makes it a no-brainer for me.

Performance has been fine, no problem loading up multiple pages on FT or other fora. Iplayer works well, sound is fine and screen is OK - it won't compete with the Retina display, but it's more than good enough. The mouse gestures on the touchpad make it very easy to use and naviate around. Google Apps are fine for basic editing. All of my extensions load and run fine in Chrome and the sync between all my devices is seamless - desktop, 2 laptops, Nexus 4&7.

I've taken it on a weekend's camping to check on work emails with a 3G wifi and it was fine. Very useful being able to type an extended reply - again something you can't do with a tablet unless you have an additional keyboard. Again, this is half the price of a tablet and compares well on weight.

The one gotcha may be printing on the road - no chance to simply plug in a USB. I've had no issues using cloud print on via my home desktop.

Post or PM if you have any specific questions - I'll be happy to answer them.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I've been using one for the past month and am very happy with it for the price I paid (free as part of a Vendor Seminar :-) ). Having used it now, I would be happy to part with the £199 that Google are asking at the moment.

It's replaced an ageing netbook that was beyond hope - even with a SSD and Linux Mint the processor was thrashing trying to run Chrome. Performance was not much better with Firefox or Opera.

My machine is used as a real "laptop" - I'm typing this on the sofa watching the kids watch TV. It's great for surfing, mail, FT and light office tasks. I would hate to think of typing this on a tablet - a reasonable screen and a keyboard for half the price of the same screen on a tablet makes it a no-brainer for me.

Performance has been fine, no problem loading up multiple pages on FT or other fora. Iplayer works well, sound is fine and screen is OK - it won't compete with the Retina display, but it's more than good enough. The mouse gestures on the touchpad make it very easy to use and naviate around. Google Apps are fine for basic editing. All of my extensions load and run fine in Chrome and the sync between all my devices is seamless - desktop, 2 laptops, Nexus 4&7.

I've taken it on a weekend's camping to check on work emails with a 3G wifi and it was fine. Very useful being able to type an extended reply - again something you can't do with a tablet unless you have an additional keyboard. Again, this is half the price of a tablet and compares well on weight.

The one gotcha may be printing on the road - no chance to simply plug in a USB. I've had no issues using cloud print on via my home desktop.

I've been thinking about getting our of these and making it dual boot with Linux, it sounds easy enough and would help when there is no 3G or broadband especially in the air.

Has anyone else done this and did it meet your expectations?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've been thinking about getting our of these and making it dual boot with Linux, it sounds easy enough and would help when there is no 3G or broadband especially in the air.

Has anyone else done this and did it meet your expectations?
I did have a look at this, but decided there would be little to gain - given the small SSD. Unless you want to run a specific app, say Skype, I would stay will Chrome. You can run the office apps and Gmail offline and if I'm not connected, I have no use for the machine anyway! (Other than Video, which streams from my Seagate Wifi Drive)
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I did have a look at this, but decided there would be little to gain - given the small SSD. Unless you want to run a specific app, say Skype, I would stay will Chrome. You can run the office apps and Gmail offline and if I'm not connected, I have no use for the machine anyway! (Other than Video, which streams from my Seagate Wifi Drive)
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of buying one with a larger SSD and using the Gimp for image editing work etc., but Skype was another program on the list. Dealing with nothing to watch on the IFE is a secondary consideration . The weight of the thing is less than some ultrabooks I looked at so won't kill me taking it everywhere. My folks live somewhere with a very dodgy broadband connection and mobile is patchy at best 3G even more so.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:41 am

If you're wanting to use Gimp, I think you'd need a beefier machine anyway.

For me, Chromebooks are the new Netbooks - perfect thin clients for people who are mainly connected and doing browser based stuff. Google docs is a bonus. Use your smartphone for Skype.

If you're wanting to do more and do more offline, like photo work, then it's maybe not the machine for you. For the price of the Chromebook Pixel, I would buy the equivalent Mac. (Not that I would buy a Mac anyway, I'd get a cheaper PC).
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Great review - many thanks.

I'll be using it for much of the same as you as my gaming days are near enough over! Shame about Skype not working on it, however it won't be a complete replacement for laptops/computers so there's not too much of an issue there. I use Skype quite often due to my girlfriend living in China and being Chinese, therefore she is not allowed to be in England without employment sponsorship! If the great firewall decides they don't like Skype anymore than I'm in a tricky situation

Any cross-compatible (Win/ChromeOS) Skype-like pieces of software that anyone has used well?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NJTrucker
As long as you are able to do everything you need to online you'll be fine. Have you ever used a Chromebook before?
I was in EDI airport with my boss at the beginning of May and that was my first time using one, albeit quite briefly. He has highly recommended one to me for light tasks.
However, I'm good with technology so won't be any issues getting used to the functionality.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by joe19924
I use Skype quite often due to my girlfriend living in China and being Chinese, therefore she is not allowed to be in England without employment sponsorship!

Any cross-compatible (Win/ChromeOS) Skype-like pieces of software that anyone has used well?
Google Hangouts, use it all the time on both the Acer 720 and my Android phone to keep in touch with family and friends.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I bought an Acer C720 back in November, the model that came with 4GB of RAM and the Haswell chipset. I purposely bought that model as some reviews indicated a longer battery life, and I have been getting 8 hours or more with it. It costs $250 compared to other models with 2GB RAM at $199. My model came with 12 go-go sessions and I've been using those on longer AA domestic flights where that access is generally between $15-20 per session.

Traveled with it to Spain, Austria and Germany so far this year, along with a bunch of domestic trips, and then it died on me in May, a few days before a two-week Australia trip. Hard drive and screen both ended up being replaced at their repair facility in Texas under warranty (turned around the same week I sent it in). The screen was getting some minor damage from the keyboard, as if it was too close to the screen when it was closed, but I wasn't ready to send it in for that yet. Once the hard drive went, though, not much of a choice. Diagnostics with google pointed to hardware and Acer approved the return a few mins into an on-line chat.

As I needed something for Australia, I replaced it with an HP chromebook with a 14 inch screen from Costco in mid-May ($379, 4G/32SSD). I like the operating system as I can just open the lid and be typing in 10 seconds. This model weighs about 4 pounds and I barely notice I have it along in my day pack. I also travel with a tablet which I use for Skype and also for mapping apps when I'm out on foot touring. It's now my primary travel computer and the 11 inch Acer becomes the dining room table computer (had to use it somewhere).

One BIG feature with this HP model: 200MB of 4G cellular access with TMobile every month. Used it yesterday on the ferry from Seattle to Bremerton and worked perfectly. Could come in handy in the U.S. in places without free wi-fi.

I tried to play MP4s on a USB stick and chrome would not recognize the file format. No issue with the tablet. Might be some other apps that won't work with chrome, but as I'm using it primarily for e-mail and uploading photos, it meets my needs when I'm traveling. I do not have a need to print from it so haven't crossed that path.

Tom in Bremerton, Washington tonight with a chromebook
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks - glad you mentioned the screen.

I went into a local tech retailer yesterday and they had a C720 on display! Unfortunately it was in demo-mode so couldn't really test out the features, but hey ho - I'd never buy from this particular place anyway. My first concern was "wow, that screen it little", but that's just after getting used to huge plasma TV's, large laptop screens, etc. I'd get used to it. But I was still thinking maybe I'd need a 14" screen, especially as I'll be trying to teach Chinese people English using it

Really appreciate all your write-ups guys, they've been a great help!^
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I watched the premier episode of The Last Ship on my 14 inch HP tonight. I thought the video looked just as good, if not better, than any other laptops I've had before. Didn't really use the 11 inch Acer for video, though, so can't comment there.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I've had mine for about 10 days now. My first Chromebook. Overall I like it with just two minor issues. The screen, as everyone says, is not great at angles so I'm adjusting the angle frequently especially if I'm using it in bed. The other issue is it takes a SD card but half the card sticks out. Would have been nice to have the card flush inside so it can be left in there during transport.

I love the quick on/off.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingalien
I've had mine for about 10 days now. My first Chromebook. Overall I like it with just two minor issues. The screen, as everyone says, is not great at angles so I'm adjusting the angle frequently especially if I'm using it in bed. The other issue is it takes a SD card but half the card sticks out. Would have been nice to have the card flush inside so it can be left in there during transport.

I love the quick on/off.
Many thanks for your comments!

Has anyone had any experience with music playback? We've heard mp4 doesn't run, but how about .mp3/.wma?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.