FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:20 pm
DCdeacon

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Example: JAX. JAX-west coast traffic can be routed via mainline planes via DFW, reducing the need for seats on the JAX-CLT RJs. Of course, that reduces the need for as many seats on the CLT-West coast nonstops. Ruh-Roh. Once the inefficient routings are reduced/rationalized, CLT's activity will likely taper off. There are other examples as well.
But doesn't this cut both ways, at least to some degree? I totally agree with the example above concerning west coast traffic from a large-ish east coast city. But what about an AA loyalist who lives in JAX and has to travel up the eastern seaboard? If I were an AA flier and had to fly JAX-RIC, for example, I'd currently probably go JAX-MIA-RIC. But now it makes way more sense to go through CLT.

Now, I realize legacy AA doesn't have a huge presence in JAX, and this "reverse" type of behavior may not be as common as your example, but I've still gotta think it happens.