FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:10 pm
FWAAA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speedracer2
Distance to Asia might be a problem with having PHL as a connecting hub for the eastern US. But with the new Asia flights from DFW, perhaps they have figured out how to make the economics work? Another strategy might be to let Delta and United battle it out for the connecting traffic and only focus on OD.
Perhaps, but CO (now UA) flies to NRT, PEK, PVG and HKG from Newark. AA has planes that can do that kind of distance (its 772s).

Additionally, JFK sees CX to HKG, JAL to NRT (double daily now that AA isn't flying JFK-NRT), DL to NRT and a few Chinese carriers at JFK.

More than six years ago, Doug Parker predicted success with PHL-PEK, and the DoT believed in him enough to award US that frequency. What's changed?

Of course, US said it would go out and acquire suitable aircraft for the route, which it failed to do.

From the western half of the country, SEA is an ideal gateway to Asia - I predict that DL will see some success.

I earlier predicted failure for the new DFW flights to PVG and HKG. Just too far and not enough O&D. I may be completely wrong about that.