FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Garden Inn Hanoi {VNM}
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2014, 9:52 am
mikew99

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I have found precious little information about the HGI in Hanoi, but what I found was largely favorable. I've just checked in to this hotel, but these are my initial impressions:

There are no usable outlets near the bed, which is inexcusable in a new/newly renovated property.

The RFID-based keycard must be placed in a slot near the door to operate the A/C. Normally, you can stick just any old card in the slot, but that trick doesn't work here. This means that instead of returning to a crisp, comfortable room, you return to a musty, hot one instead. And with a 40C/100F heat wave in Hanoi right now, it takes time for the room to cool down. For spring/summer stays, this one's a deal-breaker; I'll simply have to look elsewhere in the future.

There is a convenience store of sorts off the lobby where you can purchase drinks and such to store in the fridge, but the prices are insane, such as 40K VND for a soda that costs 8K in a convenience store. Just say no, and go elsewhere for your sundries.

Also, nothing to do with the hotel, but I couldn't for the life of me find any sort of fixed taxi from the Hanoi airport, even after asking several people (both workers and travelers). The heat clearly got to me, so I ended up making a return booking from the tourist information desk for US$50, ouch!