FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SFO-MSP going RJ?
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2014, 7:52 pm
DXjr

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by fly18725
What type of meal service is offered in F?
None, but that should've already been known given how UA caters everything else.

I don't think the CRJ-700s, at least for SkyWest were ordered in UAL's spec, but that's not really the point. When ExPlus was introduced, F in a regional jet was market leading and there probably wasn't thought about what type of service might be required decades into the future.
You're right that very little thought was put into the future of cabin service, but the cabin and galley were standardized items to meet the requirements of a given service; in this case, UA. However, it should be noted that there's VERY little difference in galley spec between the U.S. carriers on these planes.

Yes, you don't need an oven for cold meals. But if you want to have true F class service, you need to have sufficient cart space to store glass wear, meal trays, etc. My understanding is that the CRJ-700 galleys don't have that right now.
U.S. planes don't, no, but they could have them. Many European, Baltic, and Asian carriers do serve hot items on their RJ flights. Also, thinking back, when SkyWest code-shared with Midwest, they installed ovens to bake the cookies.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
United Airlines has pulled out of the market. Skywest is not United Airlines.
UA will have pulled out of the market if it goes at-risk (which is transparent to the passenger,) which I don't see that happening any time soon with these planes.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
It's a shame UA thought of First Class in an rj and didn't advance it at all.
UA has a perfect chance to turn things around with the E-175, but as far as I know, they didn't care enough to plan for meals, let alone order ovens.