FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA
Old May 17, 2014, 9:41 am
lunen

Originally Posted by lunen
I just booked DL418 on 5/18 (last minute trip), SEA/JFK, returning DL441 on 5/21 JFK/SEA. Booked in M and S class. Called to request mileage upgrade. Outbound flight shows 11/16 seats available, return flight shows 13/26 seats available.

Mileage upgrade was available for return flight, upgraded immediately. Outbound flight was not available, was put on waitlist.

Asked the agent "does this mean I am waitlisted right up until the flight boards". Answer - Yes.

Online, outbound flight shows "Systemwide Upgrade Requested".

My guess is a)Delta realized they were losing high rev customers because of this, b)they started leaving more availability for mileage upgrades, and c)their system can't upgrade mileage upgrades at the gate, so they are coding them as SWUs in the reservation system.
An update - I am now checked in for the flight, my upgrade request has been transferred to the upgrade wait list, and there are still 10 out of 16 seats still available according to the seat map. If I don't get upgraded after paying for an M fare and spending 12,500, this will be my last flight on Delta.