FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA
Old May 16, 2014, 12:54 am
lunen

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Good afternoon everyone. I waded through about 10 pages of this thread but I am hoping someone can give me the quick summary here.
I am flying LAX-JFK booked into a K fare at the end of the month and I had Delta put me on the waitlist for a mileage upgrade. Now, knowing Delta, I am sure they screwed this up somehow. I am currently shown as “System wide Upgrade Requested” on the Delta site. What do I need to make sure is done correctly so they don’t ruin this for me and secondly, I assume these can clear before the gate as well? I assume if they DO NOT, I wait until the gate and then they pull the miles? DA made it seem as though it will only clear day of space available.

Thanks,
I just booked DL418 on 5/18 (last minute trip), SEA/JFK, returning DL441 on 5/21 JFK/SEA. Booked in M and S class. Called to request mileage upgrade. Outbound flight shows 11/16 seats available, return flight shows 13/26 seats available.

Mileage upgrade was available for return flight, upgraded immediately. Outbound flight was not available, was put on waitlist.

Asked the agent "does this mean I am waitlisted right up until the flight boards". Answer - Yes.

Online, outbound flight shows "Systemwide Upgrade Requested".

My guess is a)Delta realized they were losing high rev customers because of this, b)they started leaving more availability for mileage upgrades, and c)their system can't upgrade mileage upgrades at the gate, so they are coding them as SWUs in the reservation system.