FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection
Old May 7, 2014, 1:19 pm
SansSerif

Got stuck in DTW because of the whole FAA computer/spy-plane fiasco last week. One night at the airport Westin set me back around $360.

Submitted all the required claim documents last week, including my statement, two military waivers outlining the reasons for delay, and the gift certificates I used to cover a portion of the airfare.

Just got notification that my claim was approved (3.5 business day turnaround).

This is my second time making use of this benefit. Based on my two experiences, here are some suggestions for my fellow fliers who might find themselves in a similar situation in the future:

- Include your statement credit showing the airfare charged to your eligible card. Even though they don't ask for it in the claim cover letter, it's required.

- Get at least one (preferably 2) military waivers stating (1) the reason(s) for your delay, and (2) that you were delayed more than 12 hours or were required to make an overnight stay. You can always try to get by with flight records after the fact, but a military waiver is a direct statement from the airline (through one of its agents) and might make the process a lot easier.

- Try to tie the delay reason on the military waiver to one of the Covered Hazards specifically enumerated in your member agreement. For example, if you're snowed in overnight, ask the agent to drop in the words "inclement weather" in the military waiver. When I first called in the claim, the agent said that my claim would not be covered since it was the FAA's fault (?). I called ........ (mentally) and quickly backtracked saying I couldn't be sure what EXACTLY caused the delay and asked to fill out a claim form anyways.

- Decline hotel/meal vouchers and ask for points/miles instead. I don't think this becomes a legal issue unless you are requesting reimbursement for expenses paid by voucher, but why ask for compensation you won't use anyways?

- Be prepared to justify expenses as reasonable. In my experience, member services has been generous in reimbursing stays at upper-end hotels, but I'd have justified that by saying that I usually stay at Amex FHR hotels for leisure travel. I might have further added that I saved Chase money by taking advantage of complimentary meals and F&B credits.

In other words, don't expense a $400 bottle of wine and expect to get reimbursed. But if you are so inclined to try, and DO end up getting reimbursed, make sure to let us know.

Last edited by SansSerif; May 7, 2014 at 1:26 pm