FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Clueless about itinerary - too much to see, too little time
Old May 5, 2014, 10:57 pm
romana2

Originally Posted by glennaa11
How badly do you want to go to the beach? Personally I'd skip the beach given your interests.

I would probably do a couple of days BKK to get used to the climate and time zone.

Then I'd say head to Chiang Mai for a few days. Lots of old temples in the city, mountains nearby and some other nice sights. You can also include Chiang Rai and other places around the north.

There used to be direct flights between CNX and REP (IIRC). But I am not seeing any at the moment.

If you are interested in history I would spend more than 2 days in Siem Reap. There are some outlying temples that are not as frequently visited that are worth going to but they take some time to get to.

While you are in Cambodia you might consider spending a couple of days in Phnom Penh.

Then finish the trip with a couple more days in and around BKK.
Hey, thanks a lot!

Well.. beach.. this is my main vacation and I think I might need a vacation right afterwards if I don't fit a few resting days in. I mean, I don't need to see the whole of Thailand. A while ago we did something similar on Sri Lanka, though with a private guide and driver. A few resting days with some minor sight seeing or hiking nearby was really necessary to get some energy back for the next few months of working.

At least the time difference is rather small for me, and I'm used to hotter climate, though probably not so humid.

just checked: my ideal flight would arrive in Bangkok at around 19:00 (good time for eating and going to bed) and the flight back home would be at around 20:00; lots of time to return to Bangkok from wherever by train or plane (unless public transport in Thailand is too unreliable). Note: these two days are not part of my 16 days of traveling; thus I'd be traveling 18 days in total.

so probably something like:
1 arrival
2-5/6 Bangkok and surroundings
5/6-9 Chiang May or something else
10-12 Siem Raep
12 evening -16 resting
17 leaving

leaves 1 extra day to be added somewhere

Last edited by romana2; May 5, 2014 at 11:34 pm