Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Clueless about itinerary - too much to see, too little time

Old May 5, 2014, 4:23 am
Original Poster

In probably November we'd like to travel to Thailand.

Our interests are mainly historical sites, dramatic landscapes. Travel time without flights about 16 days. First trip to Thailand.

Very roughly we thought about
few days Bangkok and surroundings
'something else'
fly to Siem Reap from near previous location
finish off with a few days of beach.

For the last part Koh Chang might be good due to connections from Siem Reap and Bangkok. Might also be a possibility to see a bit of jungle, go hiking, and see a few more things. We're really no people who can stay on a beach all day. However, we're certainly not into party, noise, sea full of banana boats and coast full of hotels and feel Koh Chang might just be too crowded for us. We might be wrong though.

The big questionsmarks we currently have are the 'something else' part and the beach. Also we're uncertain how long we should plan for each part. I'm sure we could stay around Bangkok for two weeks alone, but we'd also love to see some other part of Thailand. For Siem Reap we thought about flying in early in the morning and leaving on the evening third day. Beach: maybe 4-5 days, return to Bangkok same day as the evening flight home.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:10 pm

It's been several years since I have been to Koh Chang, but what links to Siem Reap exist?
Old May 5, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by romana2
In probably November we'd like to travel to Thailand.

Our interests are mainly historical sites, dramatic landscapes. Travel time without flights about 16 days. First trip to Thailand.

Very roughly we thought about
few days Bangkok and surroundings
'something else'
fly to Siem Reap from near previous location
finish off with a few days of beach.

For the last part Koh Chang might be good due to connections from Siem Reap and Bangkok. Might also be a possibility to see a bit of jungle, go hiking, and see a few more things. We're really no people who can stay on a beach all day. However, we're certainly not into party, noise, sea full of banana boats and coast full of hotels and feel Koh Chang might just be too crowded for us. We might be wrong though.

The big questionsmarks we currently have are the 'something else' part and the beach. Also we're uncertain how long we should plan for each part. I'm sure we could stay around Bangkok for two weeks alone, but we'd also love to see some other part of Thailand. For Siem Reap we thought about flying in early in the morning and leaving on the evening third day. Beach: maybe 4-5 days, return to Bangkok same day as the evening flight home.
Historical sites? Kanchanaburi. Death Railway. WWII Cemetary.

Don't try to pack too much in. All roughly half your time as "not do a damn thing". Getting over jet lag, organizing tours, problems with internal flights, etc. will eat up half of that time.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
My suggestion would be
4 days Bangkok/ Auythaya, Kanchanaburi, River Kwai Bridge
3 days Chiang Mai extend it by a day if you want to do hiking etc.
3 days Ko Phi Phi
2 days Siem Reap
3 days (including departure day) back in BKK to do your shopping.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: most of them
How badly do you want to go to the beach? Personally I'd skip the beach given your interests.

I would probably do a couple of days BKK to get used to the climate and time zone.

Then I'd say head to Chiang Mai for a few days. Lots of old temples in the city, mountains nearby and some other nice sights. You can also include Chiang Rai and other places around the north.

There used to be direct flights between CNX and REP (IIRC). But I am not seeing any at the moment.

If you are interested in history I would spend more than 2 days in Siem Reap. There are some outlying temples that are not as frequently visited that are worth going to but they take some time to get to.

While you are in Cambodia you might consider spending a couple of days in Phnom Penh.

Then finish the trip with a couple more days in and around BKK.
Old May 5, 2014, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
It's been several years since I have been to Koh Chang, but what links to Siem Reap exist?
At least good bus connections due to the relative proximity. I think there are also flight connections, though I'm not sure.
Old May 5, 2014, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duniawala
My suggestion would be
4 days Bangkok/ Auythaya, Kanchanaburi, River Kwai Bridge
3 days Chiang Mai extend it by a day if you want to do hiking etc.
3 days Ko Phi Phi
2 days Siem Reap
3 days (including departure day) back in BKK to do your shopping.
Hmm..

Ko Phi Phi is really far away from everything else, so I'm not sure that's such a good idea. I see many recommendations for Chian Mai, but I think I'm more looking for something a bit more off the beaten track. Still collecting information though. 2 days Siem Reap are certainly too short. Oh, and MY shopping? I don't need shopping! Why should I travel to Thailand to go shopping???
Old May 5, 2014, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
How badly do you want to go to the beach? Personally I'd skip the beach given your interests.

I would probably do a couple of days BKK to get used to the climate and time zone.

Then I'd say head to Chiang Mai for a few days. Lots of old temples in the city, mountains nearby and some other nice sights. You can also include Chiang Rai and other places around the north.

There used to be direct flights between CNX and REP (IIRC). But I am not seeing any at the moment.

If you are interested in history I would spend more than 2 days in Siem Reap. There are some outlying temples that are not as frequently visited that are worth going to but they take some time to get to.

While you are in Cambodia you might consider spending a couple of days in Phnom Penh.

Then finish the trip with a couple more days in and around BKK.
Hey, thanks a lot!

Well.. beach.. this is my main vacation and I think I might need a vacation right afterwards if I don't fit a few resting days in. I mean, I don't need to see the whole of Thailand. A while ago we did something similar on Sri Lanka, though with a private guide and driver. A few resting days with some minor sight seeing or hiking nearby was really necessary to get some energy back for the next few months of working.

At least the time difference is rather small for me, and I'm used to hotter climate, though probably not so humid.

just checked: my ideal flight would arrive in Bangkok at around 19:00 (good time for eating and going to bed) and the flight back home would be at around 20:00; lots of time to return to Bangkok from wherever by train or plane (unless public transport in Thailand is too unreliable). Note: these two days are not part of my 16 days of traveling; thus I'd be traveling 18 days in total.

so probably something like:
1 arrival
2-5/6 Bangkok and surroundings
5/6-9 Chiang May or something else
10-12 Siem Raep
12 evening -16 resting
17 leaving

leaves 1 extra day to be added somewhere

Last edited by romana2; May 5, 2014 at 11:34 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Hmm.. checking connections this might be an option, and adds some desperately needed relaxing moment:

1 arrival
2-5 Bangkok and surroundings
6 all day train ride to Chiang May or 'something else'
7-10 Chiang May or 'something else'
10 evening-13 Siem Reap (plane)
13 evening -17 beach not too far from border Cambodia (bus or private driver)
18 take public transport, flight or private driver back to Bangkok, fly home in evening
Old May 6, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by romana2
At least good bus connections due to the relative proximity. I think there are also flight connections, though I'm not sure.
There are no nonstop flights from Siem Reap to Trat. You would have to connect through Bangkok.

Make sure you do your research on the bus options. You don't board a car/van/bus and get off at Koh Chang. You have to do some walking at the border, switch vehicles, etc.

March 2013 - http://www.theimpermanents.net/2013/...koh-chang.html
Cost: $12 for non-airconditioned big bus.
Trip: 2 hours to Poipet Border
30 minutes to an hour at Border for processing, etc.
4-5 hours to Laem Ngob (Ferry Pier)
1 hour Laem Ngob Pier to Dan Kao Pier, Koh Chang
Total: 7-9 hours

Fairly correct as of March 2014 - http://iamkohchang.com/getting-to-ko...p-to-koh-chang
Taxi about $30. Leave around 8am, arrive to Koh Chang around 5pm
Old May 6, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: most of them
Everything I have read about the train to Chiang Mai makes it sound like an uncomfortable ordeal.

If you want something a little less usual you could fly to Sukhothai and spend a couple of days there. Especially if you will be there around the Loy Krathong holiday.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
There are no nonstop flights from Siem Reap to Trat. You would have to connect through Bangkok.

Make sure you do your research on the bus options. You don't board a car/van/bus and get off at Koh Chang. You have to do some walking at the border, switch vehicles, etc.

March 2013 - http://www.theimpermanents.net/2013/...koh-chang.html
Cost: $12 for non-airconditioned big bus.
Trip: 2 hours to Poipet Border
30 minutes to an hour at Border for processing, etc.
4-5 hours to Laem Ngob (Ferry Pier)
1 hour Laem Ngob Pier to Dan Kao Pier, Koh Chang
Total: 7-9 hours

Fairly correct as of March 2014 - http://iamkohchang.com/getting-to-ko...p-to-koh-chang
Taxi about $30. Leave around 8am, arrive to Koh Chang around 5pm
Yes, you're right. Not a good idea! I only read that transports are very cheap and many people do this trip. Oh well.. enough other options, and still a lot of time to decide on how and what.

My Husband loves train rides, even less comfy ones. So that's certainly still an option.

Just checked if it's possible to fly to Phnom Penh instead of Bangkok, but there aren't any decent connections. That's not a serious options.

We could potentially fly to Bangkok, stay in the area for a few days, fly to Siem Reap (I really want to go there!) and then add a few more inland flights in Thailand... I think it's time to go and buy a Lonely Planet and get planning properly
Old May 7, 2014, 9:15 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
My advise:

Go straight to Siem Riep. Get it over with. Fly out the same day you arrive, or the next morning.
It's awesome!!!!!
And will leave you with lots of down time (evenings and nights) to recharge and recover from jet lag.
2 or 3 days is enough.
Fly back to Thailand that evening, after seeing the ruins.

Now, THE REST OF YOUR TIME IS IN THAILAND!

The next morning go straight to Koh Chang.
Then, WHILE YOU'RE ON THE BEACH, that's when you decide to stay shorter or longer there. You may love it and want to spend a week there.

You're close enough to BKK that if you decide that you want to fly somewhere else, you can. But 16 days isn't that long.

FILL IN THE MIDDLE SPONTANEOUSLY... airfares are cheap enough ... JUST WING IT!
NOW THAT's A VACATION!

Last 3 or 4 days in Bangkok.
A nice hotel, City sightseeing, and Shopping.
My advice is not to cram too much in the first visit, There are enough tourist sights in Bangkok.

Summary:
Siem Riep
Koh Chang
(fill in the blank) flexible time to stay or move on!
Bangkok

Anything you missed... save it for the next trip!

Last edited by seanthepilot; May 7, 2014 at 9:26 am
Old May 7, 2014, 10:01 am

I like seanthepilot / 2lovelife's idea. Siem Reap first, then Thailand the rest of the time.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
FILL IN THE MIDDLE SPONTANEOUSLY... airfares are cheap enough ... JUST WING IT! NOW THAT's A VACATION!
Good idea from Sean. With all the political issues, there's lots of hotel space to be had at the last minute. Don't worry about rezzies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.