FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yes...I'm trying it again. And no crashes this time!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:06 pm
kevinsac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Oh man ... our training ride on Sunday was the coldest I ever have been on a bike. We signed up for the Chico Wildflower ... 100 miles with 3,999 of my closest friends!

It started raining (actually, only a heavy drizzle, but on a bike, it seemed like rain!) as we started the climb from Chico to Paradise (we rode up Honey Run). The temps were only 47 degrees up there; we heard it had hailed on Friday up there.

Then, the steep descent into Spring Valley scared a lot of us--especially after last year's crash. Not only the wet pavement and wet brakes ... but by now, soaked to the skin. I "rode my brakes" all the way down, but some of these crazy "kids" were pedaling in high gear and zipping past me.

By this point, the 3 of us riding together had decided to cut the distance to 65 miles and skip Oroville/Table Mountain loop. In fact, if a nice fireman had not given me some warm apple cider, I would have quit altogether--my teeth were chattering. But the drink warmed me up enough to ride further and ... well, if not 100 miles, I ended up with 68 miles! I never thought I would be so happy to arrived in Chico again.

Last year, it was 96 degrees during the ride and people were getting sick. This year rain and 47 degrees. Beautiful scenery ... but the weather gods don't like me!

I'm doing a 100-mile training ride out of Stockton, CA this weekend -- it should be warmer!

And then ... only 2 weeks until we "pedals down."

Kevin