Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Yes...I'm trying it again. And no crashes this time!

Yes...I'm trying it again. And no crashes this time!

Old May 9, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
So...I raised $500 tonight, in less than an hour, for a good cause. Foolishly, I offered to shave my legs. I did this in the hope of reaching my goal--with a crazy idea. And it worked!

But I'm not done--I'm upping the ante! If I raise another $500 by midnight Sunday, I'll get my legs waxed. It has to be by Sunday...cause I need to have it done Monday....so I can recover by the time I climb on a bike on Thursday.

Make your tax-deductible donation right here! A lot of my friends already have donated -- and I adore your kindness. Are you willing to throw a little more in the bucket? Will my other friends rise to the challenge?
Old May 21, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
NCAC is toughfor a newbie like me, there is no other way to describe it. But I ride because I can and because others cannot. I never have done anything so physically challenging in my life. Its just not the type of thing that is in my comfort zone and it proves that I am not a natural athlete. But the ride is behind me now and I was to bring this to full circle.

The first two days were killer hot. Thursday we rode about 101 miles in 100+ temps. Friday was worse, because we rode a lot of agricultural roads (several 10-mile stretches with no shade). The temps "only" reached upper-90s for our 103 mile trek, but on the asphalt, it was about 30 degrees higher. It was so hot, the computer on my bike and my cell phone both quit working (we use an app to track our statistics). I should have taken that as a hint.but only when I thought I saw Tellytubbies dancing in the streets did I realize it was not healthy for me to continue. So, I sagged in the last 10-12 miles. There were about 30 people who also sagged on Friday.

I cannot put into words the emotions I had during those four days, from the lows of wondering why I was riding--hot and sweaty, covered in red dust from the tractors plowing the fields next to the road, the end of the road nowhere in sight--to the exhilaration of the entire last day. It has been such a growing and learning opportunity for me. These last two years, getting to know all of the people who have ridden with me during NCAC, has been so much more than just cycling; its been a heart- and mind-opening experience.

I have met people who I hope to have in my life for a long, long time. Not only are our cycling partners awesome--they mentored, offered encouragement, and were patient--but we also shared months trying to raise money for a common goal: to help others. We asked our family, friends, co-workers, and even strangers for money and all of you stepped up and donated. By the time we close the books on NCAC 2014, I will have raised about $10,500 and the total raised by 150 cyclists and crew will be about $335,000 ... plus some money still trickling in. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart!

When we rolled in to the park Sunday, I couldnt believe that it was all coming to an end. My journey started 22 months ago and I did not finish the ride last year. This year, crossing the finish line, I could not believe the emotions I had: the feeling of personal accomplishment, the happiness that I was rolling in on my bike instead of on a stretcher, and the contentment that I was surrounded by numerous friends who came to join us. I was laughing and smiling and crying.

Ask me today Ill tell you I never want to see another bike ever again. Thats like asking a woman who just gave birth Are you ready to have more children??? So, I am uncertain if I will do a 330-mile ride again. <wink> But I might!
Old May 22, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: LH KL PC
Great stuff, congrats !

You are the champ ^
Old May 22, 2014, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kevinsac
By the time we close the books on NCAC 2014, I will have raised about $10,500 and the total raised by 150 cyclists and crew will be about $335,000 ... plus some money still trickling in. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart!
Well done!!

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Ask me today Ill tell you I never want to see another bike ever again. Thats like asking a woman who just gave birth Are you ready to have more children??? So, I am uncertain if I will do a 330-mile ride again. <wink> But I might!
I'm sure you'd do so again. Great cause and doing a lot of good!! Much like my signing up for Chicago the day after London.

Congratulations on a wonderful accomplishment!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.