FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IAD-FCO upgrade chances?
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:10 am
joesm80

IAD-FCO upgrade chances?

Hello everyone,

I'm booked on an IAD-FCO flight in about 2.5 weeks. I read on these forums that it is one of the easiest routes to get upgrades on and that people were sometimes getting upgraded even one month before their flights.

When I booked, there were plenty of business class and first class seats available. Although there were cheaper fares available when I booked, I bought Q fares hoping to improve my upgrade chances (I applied GPUs right after booking as well). Unfortunately, I've been watching business class and first class seats fill up slowly over the past month and my upgrade hasn't cleared. At this point, there are 5 business class and 2 first class seats available. I figure that translates to 7 open seats in business class (assuming that 2 business class passengers will get upgraded to first).

Given that I have 1k status and it's 2 people on the itinerary, what do you think my chances of clearing an upgrade are? I guess it really depends on how many GS members are on the flight and on how many 1k members are on the flight with higher fares. But, what have you seen in the past? Is there anything I can do at this point to increase my chances of getting upgraded?

Thanks!
-Joe