IAD-FCO upgrade chances?

Old Apr 28, 14, 9:10 am
Original Poster

IAD-FCO upgrade chances?

Hello everyone,

I'm booked on an IAD-FCO flight in about 2.5 weeks. I read on these forums that it is one of the easiest routes to get upgrades on and that people were sometimes getting upgraded even one month before their flights.

When I booked, there were plenty of business class and first class seats available. Although there were cheaper fares available when I booked, I bought Q fares hoping to improve my upgrade chances (I applied GPUs right after booking as well). Unfortunately, I've been watching business class and first class seats fill up slowly over the past month and my upgrade hasn't cleared. At this point, there are 5 business class and 2 first class seats available. I figure that translates to 7 open seats in business class (assuming that 2 business class passengers will get upgraded to first).

Given that I have 1k status and it's 2 people on the itinerary, what do you think my chances of clearing an upgrade are? I guess it really depends on how many GS members are on the flight and on how many 1k members are on the flight with higher fares. But, what have you seen in the past? Is there anything I can do at this point to increase my chances of getting upgraded?

Thanks!
-Joe
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:02 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Welcome to FlyerTalk joesm80! Unfortunately you cannot rely on the seat map as some ticketed customers might not have assigned seats. To look for how many seats are for sale (available) on UA flights use the expert mode function: http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...-mode-is-back/

Ahead of you on the BF upgrade list will be:
1) GS members
2) 1K members on a higher fare
3) 1K members on the same fare that booked their tickets before you.

Yes there is hope that some paid BF customers will be looking to upgrade to GF and free up some J seats, but from what you are describing it sounds like mission difficult. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

SunLover
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunLover View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk joesm80! Unfortunately you cannot rely on the seat map as some ticketed customers might not have assigned seats. To look for how many seats are for sale (available) on UA flights use the expert mode function: http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...-mode-is-back/

Ahead of you on the BF upgrade list will be:
1) GS members
2) 1K members on a higher fare
3) 1K members on the same fare that booked their tickets before you.

Yes there is hope that some paid BF customers will be looking to upgrade to GF and free up some J seats, but from what you are describing it sounds like mission difficult. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

SunLover
Thanks! I was using the expert mode to check availability. The availability looks like F2, FN2, A2, ON0, O0, J5, JN5, C5, D5, Z5, ZN5, P3, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y4, YN4, B1, M0, E0, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0. I figured it's not going to be easy with only 7 open seats with 2.5 weeks to go.
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Are you both on the same PNR? That can be an obstacle to clearing because two seats have to open at the same time. Splitting PNRs may increase upgrade odds (but also could result in seating in separate cabins).
Old Apr 28, 14, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Are you both on the same PNR? That can be an obstacle to clearing because two seats have to open at the same time. Splitting PNRs may increase upgrade odds (but also could result in seating in separate cabins).
Yes, we're on the same PNR. How do I go about splitting PNRs? Do I have to call up United? Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 14, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
Keep an eye on P space, if P<2 then the odds of your upgrades clearing are pretty poor. This is not exact at all, who knows, the cabin could sell out and then have multiple cancelled bookings on the DoD. Good luck!
Old Apr 28, 14, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by joesm80 View Post
Yes, we're on the same PNR. How do I go about splitting PNRs? Do I have to call up United? Thanks!
Yes, you would call to split the PNRs.

That's a pretty full flight at Y4 B1.

On a Q fare, you will have some chance until the door closes.

Watch for open R, especially during the window T-25 to T-23.
Old Apr 28, 14, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, you would call to split the PNRs.

That's a pretty full flight at Y4 B1.

On a Q fare, you will have some chance until the door closes.

Watch for open R, especially during the window T-25 to T-23.
I'm not convinced that the flight is that full yet. There are many E+ seats open. Although I know that the seat map isn't necessarily accurate, this flight was showing Y0 B0 a few days ago and you could only book in business or first class. Then, it showed Y9 B9 M9 a couple of days ago. That may happen again... who knows.

I'll look for open R space between T-25 and T-23. I've been keeping an eye on IAD-FCO flights for the past week or so, and have never seen R space open up around that time. But, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: