FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:26 pm
fairviewroad

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I assume the "toll" mentioned in the article would be charged to pedestrians for crossing the foot bridge. I wonder if they'll pay each way or only upon exiting the airport? I assume there will be a parking fee as well. Anyhow, they'll have to be careful that they don't price things too high as to negate the other competitive advantages.

It would be really cool/useful if the San Diego trolley route was extended from San Ysidro along the border to the new airport pedestrian bridge. But that would of course be extremely costly and the passenger loads at TIJ probably don't justify that.

That being said, I wonder if this new option will open up TIJ to service to/from US destinations (I believe there are no cross-border flights from TIJ currently). One could easily imagine Volaris flying TIJ-OAK or TIJ-DFW. Or for that matter, how about TIJ-PHX on US Airways/American? I know the latter would somewhat compete with SAN-PHX but you'd also tap into the TIJ market, not just luring southern San Diego folks.