FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Megabus NYC to DC comment
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Megabus NYC to DC comment

I haven't used MB for a few years and did a day trip NYC-DC-NYC on Wed. 4/16. Some comments:
Their pick-up point in NYC is now on W. 34th St., between 11th and 12th Ave.--unprotected from inclement weather (like the 30F with strong winds on 4/16).
I was taking the 8:00 AM bus; when I got to pu area at 7:30 am, there over 200 people (some were going to Boston and Toronto, and 80, or so, were also going to DC, but were on the 7 AM bus [which left around 8 AM]. my bus left at 8:30 AM.) The MB employees did a good job of organizing the lines. Even with some construction en-route, the bus arrived at Union Station [the new departure point for most busses between NYC and DC] close to schedule.
My return at 8:30 pm left on time, but right after the Maryland I-95 toll station, due to construction it took over 45 minutes to go less than a mile.
I can't fault MB for the construction, but CAN fault them for not using alternates. The electronic sign noted: EXPECT DELAYS Mon-Thurs. 10 PM-5 AM...since this appears to be on on-going project, there are always alternate routes.
But when you can get RT NYC-DC (sometimes $2)--I paid $11 ($8 outbound, $3 return), and free WI-FI, double deckers, comfortable seating...you have to accept some inconveniences...knowing about the possibilities in advance is useful info.