Megabus NYC to DC comment

Old Apr 17, 14, 6:38 pm
nrr
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Megabus NYC to DC comment

I haven't used MB for a few years and did a day trip NYC-DC-NYC on Wed. 4/16. Some comments:
Their pick-up point in NYC is now on W. 34th St., between 11th and 12th Ave.--unprotected from inclement weather (like the 30F with strong winds on 4/16).
I was taking the 8:00 AM bus; when I got to pu area at 7:30 am, there over 200 people (some were going to Boston and Toronto, and 80, or so, were also going to DC, but were on the 7 AM bus [which left around 8 AM]. my bus left at 8:30 AM.) The MB employees did a good job of organizing the lines. Even with some construction en-route, the bus arrived at Union Station [the new departure point for most busses between NYC and DC] close to schedule.
My return at 8:30 pm left on time, but right after the Maryland I-95 toll station, due to construction it took over 45 minutes to go less than a mile.
I can't fault MB for the construction, but CAN fault them for not using alternates. The electronic sign noted: EXPECT DELAYS Mon-Thurs. 10 PM-5 AM...since this appears to be on on-going project, there are always alternate routes.
But when you can get RT NYC-DC (sometimes $2)--I paid $11 ($8 outbound, $3 return), and free WI-FI, double deckers, comfortable seating...you have to accept some inconveniences...knowing about the possibilities in advance is useful info.
Old Apr 25, 14, 12:18 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I haven't used them in a while as last few trips were by train (client paid or bad weather). However, for personal travel I can't say enough - if you can travel off-hours (night) and can book in advance the price can't be beaten.

In comparison of time it is faster vs. Northeast Region OR about 15 minutes slower vs. non-delayed Acela.

The bus can also be delayed but the drivers don't cruise at speed limit which makes up time. Not as luxurious but wifi, power and typically not full so you can have multiple seats (especially overnight). I would discourage using them during rush hour but also discourage driving any stretch of I95 during rush hour.
Old Jan 20, 15, 5:14 pm

Exclamation Megabus NYC-DC

I would be very wary about booking on Megabus. We booked a NYC-DC trip (about $40, not $1) about a month ahead for my niece. On the morning of the trip, weather was inclement, and the icy road conditions caused the roadways leading to the bus stop to be closed, making it impossible for us to take her to the bus. We called Megabus and were told to pay to rebook for the next day, and that they would issue a refund on the first itinerary. Then, instead of a refund, I received three different emails from them all letting me know that they refuse to issue refunds for any reason unless they are notified 24-hours ahead. With weather-related problems, this is impossible, of course. I won't be booking with them again, because it is impossible to know ahead of time what the weather will be like.

All I wanted was to rebook, Megabus.
Old Jan 20, 15, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"We booked a NYC-DC trip (about $40, not $1) about a month ahead for my niece."

How much was Amtrak on that route, booked a month in advance?
Old Jan 21, 15, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
"We booked a NYC-DC trip (about $40, not $1) about a month ahead for my niece."

How much was Amtrak on that route, booked a month in advance?
Current advance purchase fare on the NY-DC Northeast Regional services is $52. A little more than $40, and a lot more comfort and weather protection than Megabus can offer.

That said... $40 is an awful lot for a one-way Megabus ride NY-DC. If you shop in advance online you can usually pay a lot less. I've scored a <$10 ticket once or twice and at those rates it's hard to complain.

And... I've become a fan of Greyhound and Peter Pan between Burlington, Boston, NY, and DC. Also cheap advance fares (I paid $1 on Peter Pan from Boston to NY), newer coaches with leather seats and wifi, and proper depots to keep you out of the rain.
Old Jan 25, 15, 4:25 pm

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Current advance purchase fare on the NY-DC Northeast Regional services is $52. A little more than $40, and a lot more comfort and weather protection than Megabus can offer.

That said... $40 is an awful lot for a one-way Megabus ride NY-DC. If you shop in advance online you can usually pay a lot less. I've scored a <$10 ticket once or twice and at those rates it's hard to complain.

And... I've become a fan of Greyhound and Peter Pan between Burlington, Boston, NY, and DC. Also cheap advance fares (I paid $1 on Peter Pan from Boston to NY), newer coaches with leather seats and wifi, and proper depots to keep you out of the rain.
One of my tricks, is catch a good deal on Amtrak to DC from PHL, and then MB it back due to the covered waiting area in DC...
Old Apr 1, 15, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
I'm heading to NYC tomorrow from DC and was planning on taking something like Boltbus or Megabus (since I missed out on the cheap amtrak tickets). But after seeing your comment praising Greyhound as well as the Washington Post talking up the "swank"ness of the new buses, I decided to try greyhound instead. I haven't ridden greyhound I think in 10+ years. You didn't mention extra legroom but that's what the Post is saying.

I just hope I get one of the newer buses. To help make sure I do, I did choose the ticket that just has a quick stop in New Carrolton vs the bus that stops in Baltimore and does a transfer from "GLI" to "PPP" (I assume Greyhound to Peter Pan).

The washington post mentions being able to pay $5 for pre-boarding but I don't see that option.
Old Apr 6, 15, 11:19 am
nrr
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1)I had a Megabus trip planned a year ago, due to ice/snow, I received an email from them noting cancellation--I replied and received a REFUND.
(2)With advance planning, GREYHOUND has "web fares", NYC-DC-NYC as low as $15 RT. [They "note" as low as $1--I've never seen one of these.]
(3)BOLT bus is owned by GH.
(4)I have a day trip from NYC to DC booked on Megabus, for Wed. 4/8/15: $1 each way + $1 booking fee + $1.50 (Union Terminal Fee) = $4.50. I could have reserved (for additional cost) a table seat.

Megabus is a double decker, nicer for viewing the scenery (NJ Tpke). They do have WIFI.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: