FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Photo Quality in a Point & Shoot for Novice
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:50 am
Thalassa

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by valleyrun38
I am also looking for a point and click but have a safari planned for September so am wondering if the RX100 would be suitable. If not can anyone recommend a point and click with zoom that would be. Or should I look for a bridge camera which I guess is a point and click with advanced features.
I went on my first digital-era safari in 2003 armed with a Pentax Optio S featuring a 3 MP sensor and a 3X zoom. The pictures were OK.

The common wisdom is that you want the longest possible lens on a safari. I am not 100% sure that is always the case. The Sony lens has a full-frame equivalent 28-100 mm zoom range. Optimally, you'd want a longer lens. However, in most safari locations you can get fairly close to the animals and won't miss many shots because of the lens (unless you are keen on birds).

If, however, you feel you want a longer zoom, you could take a look at something like the Fujifilm FinePix S1. It has a 24-1200 mm equivalent reach and Fujifilm cameras are typically very well made.

Cheers,
T.