Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Best Photo Quality in a Point & Shoot for Novice

Best Photo Quality in a Point & Shoot for Novice

Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: *G
bridge camera, long focal length, quite fast aperture, large sized sensor....

look at: Sony RX10 or Olympus Stylus 1
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by Thalassa
And as for "too much camera", what you are paying for is the larger sensor and excellent (for this class of camera) optics. The Sony has some excellent features but it is not gimmicky, at all. Think of it as a camera you can grow into and with.
This resonated with me, so thank you. I don't at all mind investing the money for a quality product that I can use for years. I am going to take deniah's advice and check out the cameras in person before making my final decision.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their insight.

Erin
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:59 pm

Rx100m2 is great (once you add the grip). I still like my nex-6 (I've had the 5s and 7 as well) and look forward to playing with an a7 and a6000 but I've decided that for the upcoming world cup trip I'm only taking the rx. It really is that good, and small. It's not magic, but for 99% of people it might as well be.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
I moved from Lumix to Canon S95 a few years ago and then to the Canon s100 last year for the added zoom range. I like the Canon's functionality and colors much better. Very happy with the Canon S series. It has easy functionality for me...and produces great color and IQ shots whether in auto or manual. If you're willing to go with a model a couple of years old, you can get great deals on both the S 95 and S 100. I like the features and reviews for the Canon S120, but don't think it's worth 2x the cost at least at this point.

I tried the Sony RX100 for a couple of months in between the Canon S95 and the S100. It produced nice shots, nice IQ, etc. For me, though, it was a beast working through all the menus and settings. Even after playing with it for weeks I was still a bit bewildered by it all. It didn't seem as easy to use and adjust and as intuitive as the Canon...to me at least. While the shots were very good, they didn't seem that much better for the menu challenge and the significant increase in cost.

Good luck...and happy hunting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.