FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Photo Quality in a Point & Shoot for Novice
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:09 am
deniah

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
Thank you all for your insight! Snapsort is great for getting into the details of all of the features and specs.

I have a question about zoom. It seems the better quality cameras all have less zoom. I'm not sure what this means. I know that on my previous two cameras I never used the full zoom capabilities because the photos always ended up grainy. Is zoom like sunscreen, where you can buy a higher number but it's really not going to make any difference in the end?

I'm a little concerned that the Sony RX 100 is too much camera for me - that I won't be able to make use of it's capabilities. As a novice, will I notice or be able to appreciate the difference between it and say the Canon S120? Or between those and the type of camera I have been using?

I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Erin
those arent real zooms. theyre digital zoom, which means just blowing up the images. (or the opening in the lens is so small at long zoom distance that it bumped the sensitivity that introduces more noise)

if youre shooting indoors you wont use the zoom.

the original rx100 isnt priced differently from the s120. the real difference is you'll have cleaner and/or less shaky pictures in the dark (and/or at longer zoom range!).

you can always bring a memory card to the store, and take some test shots with the 2 cameras to compare at home. maybe you can take photos of underneath the display stands to simulate darker lighting condition