FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Award, AC cancelled flight due to schedule change. What to do?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:17 pm
DC777Fan

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by sincostan
Hello all,

I apologize for posting with a new account because I couldn't remember the username of my last account... I redeemed a ticket using US Dividend miles a couple months ago when they were still a Star member and the route is MSP-YYZ-IST-ZRH-HKG (AC+TK+LX). Due to the limited availability, this was the only route I could find with I inventory in May.

Last week, when I tried to access my itinerary on US's website, the system informed me that the original MSP-YYZ (AC) flight was cancelled due to a schedule change and I was automatically rebooked on earliest flight out of MSP to YYZ (6:00AM flight), leaving me with a 14-hour layover in Toronto.

I called US Airways and they told me that they could not make any changes to this ticket at all. I asked them if they could put me on a later AA flight (MSP-ORD-YYZ). They said no and told me either to keep this ticket or cancel it (I don't want to cancel this ticket because I could not find any availability with OW members for the dates I want). I also tried to reach out to AC and see what my options are (because there is another MSP-YYZ flight operated by AC later that day, no award availability though). AC asked me to contact with US airways for any changes.

I am wondering if there are any other ways to solve this issue or I have to suffer this 14-hour layover in Toronto... (my buddies told me to just show up at the airport for the original flight and pretend that I didn't know about this change. Then ask AC manager to reroute me to HKG... But isn't it a little bit too risky?)

Thanks a lot!
US ticketed you, and the fact that you've already contacted them about it destroys and chance of you trying to claim you weren't notified of the change... and even then, it would be US, not AC, responsible for re-routing you to HKG (good luck with that argument, btw).

US owes you a ticket in your ticketed class to your specified destination. They're giving you that, unfortunately, and you'll be arriving at the originally scheduled time on the originally scheduled flight, to boot.

Rather than putting you on AA flights did you ask about any US metal options to YYZ?