Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Award, AC cancelled flight due to schedule change. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

US Award, AC cancelled flight due to schedule change. What to do?

Hello all,

I apologize for posting with a new account because I couldn't remember the username of my last account... I redeemed a ticket using US Dividend miles a couple months ago when they were still a Star member and the route is MSP-YYZ-IST-ZRH-HKG (AC+TK+LX). Due to the limited availability, this was the only route I could find with I inventory in May.

Last week, when I tried to access my itinerary on US's website, the system informed me that the original MSP-YYZ (AC) flight was cancelled due to a schedule change and I was automatically rebooked on earliest flight out of MSP to YYZ (6:00AM flight), leaving me with a 14-hour layover in Toronto.

I called US Airways and they told me that they could not make any changes to this ticket at all. I asked them if they could put me on a later AA flight (MSP-ORD-YYZ). They said no and told me either to keep this ticket or cancel it (I don't want to cancel this ticket because I could not find any availability with OW members for the dates I want). I also tried to reach out to AC and see what my options are (because there is another MSP-YYZ flight operated by AC later that day, no award availability though). AC asked me to contact with US airways for any changes.

I am wondering if there are any other ways to solve this issue or I have to suffer this 14-hour layover in Toronto... (my buddies told me to just show up at the airport for the original flight and pretend that I didn't know about this change. Then ask AC manager to reroute me to HKG... But isn't it a little bit too risky?)

Thanks a lot!

---
Update:
Just got off the phone with US airways. I talked to a really nice old lady who was willing to help me open up award inventory on US-medal and rebook me on MSP-PHL-YYZ leaving at noon. So I guess, problem solved?

Last edited by sincostan; Apr 7, 2014 at 11:18 pm Reason: update
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by sincostan
Hello all,

I apologize for posting with a new account because I couldn't remember the username of my last account... I redeemed a ticket using US Dividend miles a couple months ago when they were still a Star member and the route is MSP-YYZ-IST-ZRH-HKG (AC+TK+LX). Due to the limited availability, this was the only route I could find with I inventory in May.

Last week, when I tried to access my itinerary on US's website, the system informed me that the original MSP-YYZ (AC) flight was cancelled due to a schedule change and I was automatically rebooked on earliest flight out of MSP to YYZ (6:00AM flight), leaving me with a 14-hour layover in Toronto.

I called US Airways and they told me that they could not make any changes to this ticket at all. I asked them if they could put me on a later AA flight (MSP-ORD-YYZ). They said no and told me either to keep this ticket or cancel it (I don't want to cancel this ticket because I could not find any availability with OW members for the dates I want). I also tried to reach out to AC and see what my options are (because there is another MSP-YYZ flight operated by AC later that day, no award availability though). AC asked me to contact with US airways for any changes.

I am wondering if there are any other ways to solve this issue or I have to suffer this 14-hour layover in Toronto... (my buddies told me to just show up at the airport for the original flight and pretend that I didn't know about this change. Then ask AC manager to reroute me to HKG... But isn't it a little bit too risky?)

Thanks a lot!
US ticketed you, and the fact that you've already contacted them about it destroys and chance of you trying to claim you weren't notified of the change... and even then, it would be US, not AC, responsible for re-routing you to HKG (good luck with that argument, btw).

US owes you a ticket in your ticketed class to your specified destination. They're giving you that, unfortunately, and you'll be arriving at the originally scheduled time on the originally scheduled flight, to boot.

Rather than putting you on AA flights did you ask about any US metal options to YYZ?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
US ticketed you, and the fact that you've already contacted them about it destroys and chance of you trying to claim you weren't notified of the change... and even then, it would be US, not AC, responsible for re-routing you to HKG (good luck with that argument, btw).

US owes you a ticket in your ticketed class to your specified destination. They're giving you that, unfortunately, and you'll be arriving at the originally scheduled time on the originally scheduled flight, to boot.

Rather than putting you on AA flights did you ask about any US metal options to YYZ?
Hello DC777Fan,

Thanks for your reply and I do understand what you are saying here. I called AC simply because I wanted to see if they had any other tricks... Also, I am not planning to just show up at the airport and pretend that I didn't know about this change. (that would be evil and risky)

This new 6:00AM flight and 14-hour layover at YYZ do add a lot of inconvenience to my original plan and US airways doesn't seem to have any other solutions to this problem. I did ask about the possibility to be rebooked on US-medal flights, but no luck...

Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello DC777Fan,

Thanks for your reply and I do understand what you are saying here. I called AC simply because I wanted to see if they had any other tricks... Also, I am not planning to just show up at the airport and pretend that I didn't know about this change. (that would be evil and risky)

This new 6:00AM flight and 14-hour layover at YYZ do add a lot of inconvenience to my original plan and US airways doesn't seem to have any other solutions to this problem. I did ask about the possibility to be rebooked on US-medal flights, but no luck...

Unfortunately this is the risk you take when booking Star A partners knowing fully once US left Star A, you would be stuck with any hiccup including involuntary changes. US is no longer a partner to AC. US also announced ahead of the departure that OneWorld partner cannot be mixed with Star A partner on the same award. Thems the break.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
Unfortunately this is the risk you take when booking Star A partners knowing fully once US left Star A, you would be stuck with any hiccup including involuntary changes. US is no longer a partner to AC. US also announced ahead of the departure that OneWorld partner cannot be mixed with Star A partner on the same award. Thems the break.
Hello Happy,

Thanks for your response. I just got off the phone with US airways. I talked to a really nice old lady who was willing to help me open up award inventory on US-medal and rebook me on MSP-PHL-YYZ leaving at noon. So I guess, problem solved?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello Happy,

Thanks for your response. I just got off the phone with US airways. I talked to a really nice old lady who was willing to help me open up award inventory on US-medal and rebook me on MSP-PHL-YYZ leaving at noon. So I guess, problem solved?
Yes, US can rebook you on US metal but not on AC metal or AA metal.

Make sure you have a REISSUED Ticket with new ticket number. Until then, problem is not completely solved.

Glad the nice agent helped you out. A few days ago an US agent took it upon herself to straighten out an US schedule change that caused us misconnect on a UA award. She was able to rebook us on another US route that was no award seat, then called UA to request UA reissue tickets for us. I could not thank her enough for going above and beyond. At the end I asked to talk to her supervisor to praise her for a job very well done.

Still, it is totally depending on luck whether one would get a very considerate agent or a couldn't care less agent. That is why the risk is always there for involuntary changes and then looking for re-accommodation.

Glad things work out for you. ^
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes, US can rebook you on US metal but not on AC metal or AA metal.

Make sure you have a REISSUED Ticket with new ticket number. Until then, problem is not completely solved.

Glad the nice agent helped you out. A few days ago an US agent took it upon herself to straighten out an US schedule change that caused us misconnect on a UA award. She was able to rebook us on another US route that was no award seat, then called UA to request UA reissue tickets for us. I could not thank her enough for going above and beyond. At the end I asked to talk to her supervisor to praise her for a job very well done.

Still, it is totally depending on luck whether one would get a very considerate agent or a couldn't care less agent. That is why the risk is always there for involuntary changes and then looking for re-accommodation.

Glad things work out for you. ^

Yes, I have confirmed my new reservation on Saudi Arabia's website using the new ticket number I received. And I agree, most of the time, it really depends on who is getting your call on the other end. Last year, because of an United schedule change, I wasn't able to make the connection at SFO. A really nice agent at US Airways called United on my behalf, asked them to open up an award seat on their ICN-SFO flight (was originally on a SQ flight) and solved this issue.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Yes, I have confirmed my new reservation on Saudi Arabia's website using the new ticket number I received. And I agree, most of the time, it really depends on who is getting your call on the other end. Last year, because of an United schedule change, I wasn't able to make the connection at SFO. A really nice agent at US Airways called United on my behalf, asked them to open up an award seat on their ICN-SFO flight (was originally on a SQ flight) and solved this issue.
They used to have official liaisons to certain airlines, including UA and AC, whilst still in Star, to make supporting each other's customers and their mutual customers easier. These liaisons are probably not around any more or are now liaisons for OW airlines, hence the nice lady who helped by calling UA last year would not have done the same last night.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:34 am

I actually just had an AC schedule change go through, two weeks after US's exit from *A. I have to say that I was surprised: I expected all kinds of problems, but, for whatever reason, they re-booked us on an AC flight two hours later - no drama. After double-checking on saudia, the ticket appeared to have been issued correctly too. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.