FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Preclearance from Canadian airports; is it worth it??????
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:05 pm
yhzflyer

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I had an interesting conversation with a senior officer of Homeland security the other day about the Americans being here in Canada for pre-clearance. Then I thought of that post here on F/T where AC's CEO complained that 5 Million Canadian cross to US border airports to save money.

I learned that its the Airports that want the US here and we pay for this, and I mean all Canadian airport users. I love to know what percentage of operating costs this represents?

The officer also stated for them, disallowing entry is nice as they have no cost as the denied entry passenger stays in Canada! For staff it's a posting where they can then choose a new posting of their choice when they return to the US.

The US does not have Canadian pre- clearance and this is unique as we are the only country that does this. So many kettle flyers simply think this is normal, well I guess it is a its been done as long as I have been alive and I am OLD!
I believe Ireland, Bermuda, and a few Caribbean countries offer US pre clearance.