FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:47 pm
tide

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by transpac
Have you, or anyone else here, used GrabTaxi here in Bangkok?

Any experiences, especially details, would be appreciated.
Sorry I missed your post - I would've replied earlier.

Yes I have used GrabTaxi a couple of times. I find it convenient when going to the airport early in the morning (around 4am) because then, I am sure of getting a taxi, especially sometimes from remote places where a passing taxi is hard to find. Also good if you want to be sure of a cab using meter.

It is like calling and booking a metered taxi by calling dispatch. Regular taxis. 25B booking fee. The advantage over the dispatch line, is that I have a record on my app and I can see where the taxi is and more importantly, the phone number of the driver. One advice is, register with your local number because GrabTaxi will call you even if there is a switch of taxis. You don't want to be on the phone with a roaming number (expensive).

Using the app is easy. You enter you location and destination and you get to see how many drivers are in your vicinity. On a afternoon in the Ratchaprasong area, I saw > 60 taxis in area. Then your reservation goes through a process of "bidding" between taxis resulting in one cab being assigned to you. You get to see the taxi number, driver phone number, and minutes from arrival at that point. You can make reservations 7 days in advance.

They have always come on time.

The last trip, I got to speaking with driver about GrabTaxi. He said that they even pick up from the airport from departures level. He also said there were only 2 apps that he knew of in Bangkok: GrabTaxi and EasyTaxi; GrabTaxi being the bigger of the two. Finally he said that you were sure that a taxi would arrive on time.

Hope this helps.