FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Experience with fraud on purchasing gift cards via marketplaces (ebay, raise, card..)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:11 am
billcard

I purchased a Starbucks gift card on Raise. I checked the balance when I got it and everything looked good. I transferred the balance to my registered Starbucks card to continue using the rewards program. The seller then reported it stolen.

Starbucks shut down my account, which was over 5 years old and zeroed my balance without contacting me (transferred+pre-existing balance). Hold times for customer service exceeded an hour and a half. There is no way to talk to the fraud department, customer service told me they would mail anything in excess of the fraudulent gift card balance to me in 30 days. They never sent it, but I was able to dispute my last load through Chase.

There was no hold time when I called Raise. They credited back the money I had paid for the gift card and apologized profusely. The agent specifically said they value my business and hoped that I would continue to do business with them. (I know customer service agents are all supposed to do this, but Starbucks didn't seem to care and this guy sounded genuinely distressed.)

This was in July of last year. I have continued to do business with Raise with no issues, but have no intention of returning to Starbucks.