FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Orlando, Florida, USA {US-FL}
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:02 am
writerguyfl

DT Suites LBV: Highly Recommended

I just spent 4 nights at the DoubleTree Suites Lake Buena Vista (at Downtown Disney). My last three Orlando trips had been at the Hilton LBV across from Downtown Disney. They wanted $289/night plus $22 resort fee. Other full service hotels were also over $200. I found a $79 rate at the DT and figured "it can't be that bad". I had a wonderful stay. This hotel is now my #1 choice for Orlando.

I arrived before 8am. The woman at the Front Desk was great. She thanked me for being a Gold HHonors member and confirmed that I wanted the points. Even though I didn't select breakfast, she provided a pass good for free morning coffee. That was a nice touch.

Being so early, I didn't expect to get a room. She was able to get me into a King-bedded room. Those rooms are at the center of the hotel, behind the elevators. The bathroom was between the elevators and the bedroom, so I doubt that noise would be an issue. The odd layout of the suite put the living area inside so that there were no windows. If I were only there one night, I would have stayed. But, I decided it was too dark for my taste.

Upon returning to the Front Desk, the agent apologized when she discovered that no other rooms were available. As it was barely 8am, I told her not to worry. She took my cell number and promised to call me when the room was ready. I left for about an hour. Upon returning, I camped out in the lobby and got some work done. The woman couldn't see me, but I could hear her. About every 20 minutes, she called Housekeeping asking about the status of a clean room. As soon as she got the word, she called my cell.

Their standard 2-room suite was spacious, with 2 queen beds and a pull-out sofa in the living room. It came with a tiny (empty) refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker.

I'd never stayed there before, but I used to work at the Disney Reservations Center. That meant I'd toured all of the Downtown Disney hotels. The DT did a great job with their renovation. The bathroom was particularly nice. I did hate the bed. But, I'm used to an extra-extra firm bed. Anyone that likes a soft pillow-top mattress will find the beds to be great.

I didn't eat at the restaurant, but I did use room service. The food was prompt and above average. The price was reasonable when compared to what you'd pay in a theme park or at a Downtown Disney restaurant.

I'm not sure if it was because I tipped the Housekeeper or if they provide it to everyone, but I got a "thank you" note one day. It had a simple survey to rate the hotel. It also had a coupon for one free continental breakfast, one beer/wine, an appetizer, or 24-hours of internet. I thought that was a nice surprise.

With the exception of the Front Desk person who checked me out at 4am, every single employee was friendly. The Housekeepers in the halls all smiled and said hello. Twice, I passed a Housekeeping Supervisor and both times she asked if everything in my room was up to my standards. (In contrast, during my last Hilton LBV stay, I had to make three calls to get an iron that should have been in the room before I arrived.)

This is one of the good DoubleTrees. I highly recommend it...particularly if you are traveling with more than 2 people in one room.