FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Last-minute upgrades on SQ
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:52 pm
Guy Betsy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ramsfan
Thanks for the quick replies, but wow that's terrible. On Air Canada we complain that the last-minute upgrade cost too much but it's way less than the fare difference. Similarly on other Star alliance airlines such as Ethiopian. One always complains about one's own airline until you find out things aren't necessarily greener in faraway pastures. Next time I will be more careful and make sure I book SQ flights that are upgradable with star alliance upgrades so I can use air canada AEROPLAN points. I did that for my return from Singapore to Sydney, but not on the journey going out. Oh well flying economy will build character. At least I have a premium seat.
That's how profitable airlines work. People who book in advance don't want to sit next to someone who paid half of what they paid. SQ does not believe in last minute upgrades at airports. Basically if you want to sit in Business Class, you pay for it - in full.

You cannot upgrade on SQ using Aeroplan points on flights operated by 77W, A380 aircrafts. Just FYI.