FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2014)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:52 pm
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IC BUDAPEST, HUNGARY

What is your Priority Club status?
Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay ?
Yes, once I got room/lounge sorted out.
Warning Check-in UPSTAIRS in Club Lounge Floor #1 before 20.00 hours. Lounge Supervisor is seemingly better informed and more helpful regards RA upgrade program. (as after 20.00 only waiting staff in lounge, no Amb Desk staff)

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
o Booked - King Classic (Basic room, only possible room type on company rate at this IC )
o First was told receiving - Deluxe + Sofa, NO LOUNGE , and lounge now 70euro as no longer solo discount to 40euro
o NOTE(1) Originally told - Deluxe + Sofa, NO LOUNGE ... As you are only entitled to 2-level upgrade Basic -> Superior->Deluxe This from so called duty manager who then tried to say he has been managing in IC's for last 7years
o DM did listen politely and as a '1-off' Volunteered me a J/suite ++ Free Club Lounge
o NOTE(2) Was also told there is no longer a discounted 40euro lounge for Solo Guests, Solo/Couple rate for Club Lounge is now fixed non-negotiable 70Euro.

How were Rooms
Room(1) Bedroom
o J/suite on higher floor with angled windows (30 degrees to river) for really great views and can see down Danube too due to the window not being parallel to Danube
o Small bedroom, just big enough for King Bed, bedside tables and cabinet end of bed for minibar and TV + Safe
o Large Flatscreen TV, Poor TV channels, for English speakers only old reruns on a)CBS Drama b)CBS action channels
o Wardrobe in entryway and Wall Mirror
o Small bathroom, Bath with shower curtain, no rainfall option. Agraria toiletries
Room(2) Living Room
o 2 Seater Sofa and coffee Table
o Big work desk + proper 5wheeled desk chair
o Continuation of 30 degree angled window

How is the exec. lounge?
o Lovely ambience, Large and comfortable, nice views
o Great staff
o Good Food offerings, even a 1200-1500 lunchtime offering
o Pleasant sparkling Hungarian white wine in evening drinks period

Other Info
o Lounges Guest Supervisor lady was very helpful... For my return visits as I expressed that 70euro lounge fee could prevent returns on solo trips she said since I can only book King Classic on my company rate, that instead of me paying 70euro for lounge, to instead pay 30euro (40 euro high season) to upgrade booked room from Classic to Superior River View, and thus instead of choice of Deluxe+Lounge / J-suite + No Lounge, I would get J/Suite + Club. In effect choosing J/suite and paying upgrade of 30/40euro for club which now must cost 70
o If you think about it ... an RA couple can do this too as there is no extra person room fee for RA's getting Lounge for 30-40 instead of 70
o Presidential Suite no longer available, p/suite is being refurbished from 7th March.

What was your welcome gift?
Bagged Paprika with a small wooden spoon.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Plate of mixed fruit
2 Waters Daily

What was good and what was bad?
+ Minibar - Wine, 3 Beers. I hear Budapest is non-alcohol minibar but similar to Kiev, for RA's they put the beer/wine in the rooms fridge ?
+ The view over Danube, Chain Bridge, Palace and at night the lit up bridge, Fisherman's Bastion and Church
+ Nice restaurant breakfast, cook omelets to order. Though after first morning I ate in Lounge as quieter and with view.
+ Right by #16 bus service, runs every 6minutes to/from Castle/Bastion etc for 1.50 euro
+ John Bull pub right opposite hotel with Sky TV European footie. Nice food there too.
- Now fixed Lounge 70Euro up sell rate, no longer the 40euro solo guest lounge rate offered anymore
- Poor TV channels, for English speakers only old reruns on a)CBS Drama b)CBS action channels

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
o Yes company rate is fixed rate, so late booking is even better rate compared to late flex (but just 12euro less than early ADR bookings)
o Yes as this visit I did not need to choose J/S ++ pay 40euro/night lounge due to Duty Manager not understanding the RA program
(I was just about to cancel as flex company reservation, and go back to the Hilton due to DM's views on RA upgrades, but in the end did not need to mention to DM or take that action ! )
o At 35K/night points, one should really have paid stays here

Last edited by scubaccr; Mar 5, 2014 at 9:28 am Reason: Added that Pres Suite being refurbed so not bookable.