FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United 48 BOM-EWR grounded in BOM because of "badly damaged" engine cover on 777
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:07 am
skidooman

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Completely understand your pain. This longhaul route has been really cursed for UA. Dunno how it was under CO. The problem with UA staff in Mumbai is that they are not really UA staff (as only one flight coming and one going). They are all contract people who dont know half of the procedures most of the time. You just have to cross your fingers and pray to god that no holes are found in engines and nothing goes wrong. Glad that you were able to get out. Personally - having family there is helpful
You bet.

And there is one more query I had.

Look. If I take my Hyundai on a trip, say from BOS->ORD, and then I have a mechanical problem on the road. I can pull over for repairs, right? The local car shop is unlikely to tell me "well, sir, we need the parts from your dealership".

So, why isn't GE, Rolls Royce and other companies not maintaining a set of parts in strategic places in the world? Mumbai isn't exactly New York, but it is not Novossibirsk either. There are how many 777 taking off from there?

To my understanding (and, once again, the communication issue with that crew), the parts needs to be flown from the US. The plane flying to that location on that Friday would have left already. So, providing the parts go there via normal operations, the earliest it gets to Mumbai is 9:00 PM on Saturday. That plane is grounded until Sunday.

Maybe there is something I am missing but that sounds ridiculous to me.

As for the Mumbai guys not being United's, in my mind it is United problem nonetheless. They damage the United brand anyway. If they cannot deal with IRROPS, then United should find people able to do the job. Mumbai is a big city, I assume this is doable.