FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Warning / Warnings: Countries Persecuting LGBT People
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:03 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Warning / Warnings: Countries Persecuting LGBT People

Though I notice there are a few threads regarding countries that persecute and discriminate against LGBT people, I'm titling this one in hopes other examples can be added as (unfortunately) necessary. (I hope the day we no longer have reason to post these comes soon.)

Uganda became the latest nation persecuting LGBT people and most likely a place to avoid by LGBT people and supporters. The bill was approved widely by Parliament 20 Dec 2013, and it was signed by President Yoweri Museveni 24 Feb 2014. Ugandan MPs were "advised" by some American evangelicals in designing this legislation (only worse than it is now, if that's possible).

Though Mr. Museveni stated "I... encourage the US government to help us by working with our scientists to study whether, indeed, there are people who are born homosexual. When that is proved, we can review this legislation." Unfortunately, he chose to not follow his own advice and signed the somewhat modified bill (dropping the death penalty for homosexual acts in favor of life imprisonment, and dropping the threat of prison for others failing to report homosexual behavior) much more speedily than he normally would have.

Though Uganda is relatively violence free and has some splendid tourism areas, I would certainly counsel anyone LGBT to avoid the place (as well as any other travellers even considering going there).

Uganda's anti-homosexuality act
  • Life imprisonment for gay sex, including oral sex
    "First offense" seems to have a 14 year prison sentence
  • Life imprisonment for "aggravated homosexuality", including sex with a minor or while HIV-positive

• Life imprisonment for living in a same-sex marriage

• Seven years for "attempting to commit homosexuality"

• Between five and seven years in jail or a $40,700 (£24,500) fine or both for the promotion of homosexuality

• Businesses or non-governmental organisations found guilty of the promotion of homosexuality would have their certificates of registration cancelled and directors could face seven years in jail

(in part in BBC article) The bill signed by Mr Museveni, and seen by the BBC, is significantly different to what was initially reported on Monday - and has been watered down, they say.

The new law allows life imprisonment as the penalty for acts of "aggravated homosexuality" and also criminalises the "promotion" of homosexuality", where activists encourage others to come out.

Earlier drafts of the bill made it a crime not to report gay people - in effect making it impossible to live as openly gay - but this clause has been removed.

“Homosexuality is just bad behaviour that should not be allowed in our society”, said MP David Bahati.

Lesbians are covered by the bill for the first time.

Gay activists say they will challenge the new laws in court.

The bill originally proposed the death penalty for some homosexual acts, but that was later removed amid international criticism.
Uganda is not alone; a number of African nations remain unenlightened and have laws that are persecutory and discriminatory against LGBT people. (South Africa OTOH has legislated same gender marriage, etc.)

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm