Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Warning / Warnings: Countries Persecuting LGBT People

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Though I notice there are a few threads regarding countries that persecute and discriminate against LGBT people, I'm titling this one in hopes other examples can be added as (unfortunately) necessary. (I hope the day we no longer have reason to post these comes soon.)

Uganda became the latest nation persecuting LGBT people and most likely a place to avoid by LGBT people and supporters. The bill was approved widely by Parliament 20 Dec 2013, and it was signed by President Yoweri Museveni 24 Feb 2014. Ugandan MPs were "advised" by some American evangelicals in designing this legislation (only worse than it is now, if that's possible).

Though Mr. Museveni stated "I... encourage the US government to help us by working with our scientists to study whether, indeed, there are people who are born homosexual. When that is proved, we can review this legislation." Unfortunately, he chose to not follow his own advice and signed the somewhat modified bill (dropping the death penalty for homosexual acts in favor of life imprisonment, and dropping the threat of prison for others failing to report homosexual behavior) much more speedily than he normally would have.

Though Uganda is relatively violence free and has some splendid tourism areas, I would certainly counsel anyone LGBT to avoid the place (as well as any other travellers even considering going there).

Uganda's anti-homosexuality act
  • Life imprisonment for gay sex, including oral sex
    "First offense" seems to have a 14 year prison sentence
  • Life imprisonment for "aggravated homosexuality", including sex with a minor or while HIV-positive

• Life imprisonment for living in a same-sex marriage

• Seven years for "attempting to commit homosexuality"

• Between five and seven years in jail or a $40,700 (£24,500) fine or both for the promotion of homosexuality

• Businesses or non-governmental organisations found guilty of the promotion of homosexuality would have their certificates of registration cancelled and directors could face seven years in jail

(in part in BBC article) The bill signed by Mr Museveni, and seen by the BBC, is significantly different to what was initially reported on Monday - and has been watered down, they say.

The new law allows life imprisonment as the penalty for acts of "aggravated homosexuality" and also criminalises the "promotion" of homosexuality", where activists encourage others to come out.

Earlier drafts of the bill made it a crime not to report gay people - in effect making it impossible to live as openly gay - but this clause has been removed.

“Homosexuality is just bad behaviour that should not be allowed in our society”, said MP David Bahati.

Lesbians are covered by the bill for the first time.

Gay activists say they will challenge the new laws in court.

The bill originally proposed the death penalty for some homosexual acts, but that was later removed amid international criticism.
Uganda is not alone; a number of African nations remain unenlightened and have laws that are persecutory and discriminatory against LGBT people. (South Africa OTOH has legislated same gender marriage, etc.)

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by JDiver
Uganda became the latest nation persecuting LGBT people and most likely a place to avoid by LGBT people and supporters. The bill was approved widely by Parliament 20 Dec 2013, and it was signed by President Yoweri Museveni 24 Feb 2014. Ugandan MPs were "advised" by some American evangelicals in designing this legislation (only worse than it is now, if that's possible).
I just came here to post a thread on this, so thanks for getting the ball rolling.

I've been 154 countries now, with 42 to go...including Uganda...which I have penciled in for my next Africa trip late this year. I was originally planning to spend a few days exploring, but may make it a VERY short connection to minimize money spent in the country.

I'm not worried about my safety - I've been to Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Somalia...but I also do feel guilty going to a place where I know others live their lives in fear and shame.

Any suggestions for outreach I could make - no matter how small - that might at least offset things a little?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
I agree with the alarm of these horrific laws.
Some people will call me a racist but it just confirms the opinion many have that Africa is in the Stone Age. It is simply tragic and appalling.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's nothing to do with race. It's everything to do with ignorance and fear of that which is different.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
With this pending legislation in Arizona, I almost want to add the United States to the list of countries persecuting LGBT people
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
With this pending legislation in Arizona, I almost want to add the United States to the list of countries persecuting LGBT people
Come on now, the legislation in Arizona, even if signed, is no threat to ones life. And btw, I think it will be vetoed.

Update: The Gov. has vetoed the bill.

Last edited by Doug 1029; Feb 26, 2014 at 6:24 pm Reason: update
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

South Africa is in Africa, and the vast majority of South Africans are Black Africans. South Africa was the first country in the world to Constitutionally outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation, fifth to legalize same gender marriages.

ironmanjt, I'd reward South Africa (and the 13 other nations that recognize same gender marriages, and IMO those that may not have legal protection for LGBT people but at least to not actively persecute them) by giving them my business and recommendations, and I will be sure to let them know of my decision to avoid traveling to, and recommending others travel, to Uganda.

The Uganda Tourism Board
42 Windsor Crescent, Kololo
P.O. Box 7211, Kampala, Uganda.
Tel: +256 (414) 342 197
Fax: +256 (414) 342 188
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.visituganda.com/information-centre/contacts/

Link to Pres. Yoweri Museveni's statement at signing Uganda's new law.

H.E. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni
P.O. BOX 7168, Kampala UGANDA

Lonely Planet named Uganda as "the world’s most preferred tourism destination for the year 2012"; I certainly hope they will lose that designation.

Some African nations have people attempting to promulgate similar legislation; Kenya's Maendeleo ya Wanaume ("Advancement for Men") launched an "Anti_gay Day" last Monday and are hoping to have similar legislation enacted. Kenya's current laws; Tanzania's current laws. Both latter 's laws can be used against LGBT people if someone feels they have cause.

Originally Posted by x1achilles
I agree with the alarm of these horrific laws.
Some people will call me a racist but it just confirms the opinion many have that Africa is in the Stone Age. It is simply tragic and appalling.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 26, 2014 at 9:03 pm Reason: add addresses
Old May 26, 2014, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Another to avoid at all costs - Brunei

Uh, oh. The Royal Sultanate of Negara Brunei Darussalam ("Abode of Peace" indeed) is joining the fracas, and we should NOT be planning to travel there if we are GLBT or friends of LGBT.

May 1 2014, the Royal Sultanate of Brunei began following Sharia law, based partly on the Koran, but which may vary depending on where it is applied and the scholars who help shape it through fatwas. Brunei's form of Sharia is one of the most rigid, draconian interpretations of Koranic law possible. (BBC)

There are three stages of the introduction of the Sultan's take on Sharia, which will be phased in over a total of three years. Amputations come under the second phase (for such as theft), and stoning under the third phase.

The death penalty is specified for aggravated "crimes" including robbery, adultery or extramarital affairs for Muslims, and insult or defamation of the Prophet Mohammed (or blasphemy against the Quran or Hadith), declaring oneself a prophet or non-Muslim if one is Muslim, and introduces stoning to death as the specific method of execution for crimes of a sexual nature.

Sir Richard Branson (kudos to him) will not stay, nor allow any Virgin employee, to stay in the Dorchester Hotels, which are owned by the Sultan of Brunei, including the Beverly Hills Hotel and the Hotel Bel-Air in Los Angeles. Many others will do the same (Lady JDiver and I among them). I'd also recommend eschewing any flying on the government-owned carrier, Royal Brunei Airlines.

Branson Tweet: "No @Virgin employee, nor our family, will stay at Dorchester Hotels until the Sultan abides by basic human rights"
If Brunei Darussalam was ever on your bucket list, kick it right in the... bucket. I knew some of us were living in the stone age, but this?

Brunei-Darussalam: N.E. corner of Malaysia (ASEAN)

Last edited by JDiver; May 26, 2014 at 4:22 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Morocco - be aware

Morocco has jailed an older British man who travelled to meet a Moroccan man he had corresponded with online. They were arrested and jailed for four months for "suspicion of homosexuality" (maximum sentence three years).

The British consular authorities were initially turned away from visiting because he had said he didn't want to talk to them - a lie, as he wasn't ever told by the authorities the consular representatives had come.

The only reason his family found out where he was and that he hadn't been murdered or abducted was because he was able to borrow a mobile phone secreted by another prisoner to call home.

Link.

I'm glad no gay friends of mine who've visited Morocco have experienced this homophobic intolerance; it does appear Morocca authorities have amped up into the Draconian list of places to avoid, or at least stealth up to visit. Awful.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Another one about Ray.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...cco-homosexual
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Egypt: Off my Life List

Egypt has been on my life list forever.

I know their persecuting of LGBT people is no secret but for some reason my passion to go made me blind to this...until I saw this story yesterday.

I told my husband that Egypt is now off "my" list and I will not give them any of our tourist dollars. He agrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwR2UJKEbOg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.