FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine (Vineyard Creek) , Santa Rosa, CA - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:18 am
BAGoldBoy

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 For those who are looking for something close to the Sonoma and/or Napa wineries, I cannot recommend this property based on location or room quality.

We stayed here this weekend. I was quite disappointed in the so-called "suite" which was really just a large room with a couch and easy chairs. Definitely not worth using my suite upgrade cert. The room itself was quiet despite being around the corner from the elevator and maid closet. We faced the courtyard and did not hear any freeway noise.

The rooms themselves are not deluxe by any means though the bathroom was quite large and had a separate tub. Bed was comfortable, robes in closet, but precious little storage space. Shower did not have any shelf space or anywhere to hang towels. There was a small refrig and a safe that was too small for my 15" laptop. Wifi connection was good was reasonably fast. No free water in room. No parking or resort fees.

Breakfast at the so-called Brasserie was great though the food prep was glacial. Personally I prefer a buffet where I can grab something quick rather than wait 1/2 hour for eggs benedict or even a bagel and salmon. Generous portions and everything was comp'd for Diamond members (except the tip). Free coffee in lobby ran out every morning (and was slow to refresh) and ends a bit early at 9:30am. No exec lounge. Small pool is fine for a dip but nothing special.

My biggest issue with the hotel is location and value - not at all convenient to Napa and a bit of a haul even to Kenwood/Sonoma. While this was fine for daytime driving, it was not at all fun driving back at night after dinner through a driving rainstorm on one-lane country roads with no street lights. For Napa I would take the Westin resort (which has nicer standard rooms than my "suite") or even the HGI or Marriott. For Sonoma I'd pick the Lodge or Sonoma Mission Inn (Fairmont). And if you require a more moderately priced property then I'd go instead with the Marriott Courtyard next door (cheaper or a good use of Cat 5 certs). IMO the Hyatt is not worth even $170/nt elite rate - it's really a cheap freeway property that isn't nestled in the vineyards.

We did not appreciate the "fresh scent" spray in our room - I actually had to take an allergy pill.
I agree its not a great property but we find it quite convenient and good value. For Napa I would recommend the Andaz which was very nice and of course very central to lots of restaurants and an easy drive to many of the vineyards.