FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Last seat redemption for F award on AF
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:55 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
Okay, I'm now taking this just about as far OT as I can go, apologies to FB members, these are the last comments I'll make on this matter on this board... But in my defense, it all started innocently.

Interestingly, in the USA United, American, and Delta all, have enjoined aggregating websites (e.g., awardwallet.com, amongst others, who allow for "one stop shopping" of mileage balances, status levels, etc. for airlines, hotels, rental car companies, credit cards, etc.) from scraping their systems for data, meaning that subscribers to those various sites could no longer rely on mileage updates through the use of such sites. One of the sites came up with a workaround for United (they had members create email accounts that are associated with the website, and then go to ual.com and change the email on file to the new site email, so once a month when UA sends out balance emails, the site will update member accounts).

American relented with awardwallet.com, and my understanding is that now they allow it, so they know that people are putting in their AA FF#s and PWs. And I suspect that they're okay with it, presumably after looking at the site's policies for storing data, encryption, etc. I can't prove it, though, as I really don't have a clue as to how any of those sites really work.

I would think that European carriers could just as easily stop third party sites from such activity if they wanted to, and the fact that they haven't stopped them leads me to suspect that they're okay with it. And the same would go for financial institutions that allow mint.com etc. to aggregate financial data. It is within their power to curtail such use.

Interestingly, AF's FB is available on awardwallet.com, amongst other aggregating sites (I just looked, they list out who's supported), so either they're not aware of it, or they tacitly approve of it, T&C wording (which is often times there as a broad protection for the FFP) to the contrary or not. Lufthansa and BA and SQ and TG and QF (and the list is quite long...) are also "participants" in such sites. I'm not saying that's good, I'm just saying what is.

Okay, back to our regularly-scheduled programming...
Don't worry, one thing which is very much 'tacitly approved of' on FT is OT Don't take me wrong, I personally have no issue with you or anyone else using the services such as the one you describe, and I can't imagine FB saying that they randomly checked that someone else booked for you and it is against their T&Cs and thus they will discontinue your account. The same goes for award wallet, the way I understand it, I don't think airlines need to actively do anything for it to work with their FFPs but I think they will happily turn a blind eye as long as nothing goes wrong.

What I think, on the other hand, is that breaching the T&Cs makes one very vulnerable if anything goes wrong. The moment a security breach happens and a booking takes place that should not (e.g. some smart a** gets access to the system and trades someone else's miles for cash) the airlines will go for the 'easiest solution' which will be to say that the account owner breached his/her T&Cs and delete the accounts. If no such 'funny' thing happens, I don't think there will be any consequences.