FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:18 am
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I completely agree with you, DS, having changed my feelings on this over time. Asok to DMK last week, the meter said 497 on arrival at the airport. Right. I offered him 100. He started gesticulating at the meter and saying something (I neither speak nor understand Thai, as you know). I told him again 100. He said no. I then gestured that he should come with me inside the terminal and said that we would ask the police to sort it out. On hearing "police" (same in Thai?) he turned and walked back to his taxi, obviously disgusted with me.
I don't doubt this happened to you but "hot meters" are really not much of a problem. I've probably spent cumulatively 8-9 years total in BKK and taken thousands of taxi rides. I've had altogether way too many want to refuse to turn on the meter. But I've never had one where the meter was way off what it should be.