FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:26 am
aacharya
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TonyBurr

Jeff told us that the other *A airlines all decided on the same day to charge UA flyers more miles. LOL. I spoke to agents at other *A airlines and they said their redemption values did not go up. It seems like it was just UA. Of course Jeff was 100% honest with us.

Guess what airline did not have “availability”? It was UA. So Jeff has raised the award redemption amount and pulled UA inventory.

OK, all you Jeff defenders tell me how this latest action by him is a great thing and how wrong I am to dare to criticize Jeff.
I will not defend Jeff at all - the new redemptions are awful - but I do defend accuracy, as this forum is worse than yahoo.com these days with uninformed comments.

1. He did not say the rest of *A was increasing mileage redemption requirements. What he said was that UA had to balance raising redemptions, or starting to charge fuel surcharges, as they were paying *A partners more.

2. There is/was a systemwide issue for UA award ticketing. As others have noted, what routes/dates were you looking for? US-EU in summer wasn't available before or after February 3.

Last edited by aacharya; Feb 4, 2014 at 7:33 am