FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:12 am
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Change clarification for itineraries booked before February 3: Many of you have also been asking about what kinds of itinerary changes will re-trigger a re-price to the new award chart, and I can share some additional follow-up details about that. As a reminder, the existing change process will apply, and any change that requires an award to re-price will require an add/collect of the additional miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Thanks for checking in.

If I understand correctly
(1) People who booked a UA GlobalFirst segment IAD-FRA may change to Lufthansa First IAD-FRA without a reprice, but
(2) People who booked a LH Business IAD-FRA segment, on a trip otherwise booked in the F cabin, may *not* change to LH F IAD-FRA without a reprice.

Is this about right? We got some notification that this would be the policy on roughly Feb 2, when phone agents read us this written policy, but I don't think we otherwise got advance notice of this subtlety. I think we might have made different decisions (booking IAD-FRA in UA F instead of BOS-FRA in LH J) if we had been told that this was the plan. (I don't mean to sound petulant here — we really do appreciate getting all this information and we know we're getting it as far in advance as is possible.)