FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To split or not to split PNR {Archive}
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:27 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whoknew89
I'm a Premier Platinum member on United and am flying with 4 other family members on a trip to Europe this coming March. We're all booked in economy "K" and have connecting flights in the U.S. both ways.

If I'm understanding this correctly I need to split my reservation to still be eligible for the complimentary upgrades for at least two of us flying. My question is do I really need to call or could I just use the "Separate Travelers" function on the United website? .....
Yes you can use that function.

Complimentary upgrades are only available on your domestic flights and if they don't clear prior to check in you will have to (again) split the reservation into single person PNR.

... Also, if I split the reservation it will leave two passengers with absolutely no status and therefore likely not be eligible for priority boarding / screening. Is this also the case? ...
not an issue, you are allowed to bring family members with you even if on different PNR.

.. What do you suggest I do? I want to maximize my upgrade opportunities but I also don't want to leave my family members behind.
behind at security or boarding will not be an issue. On the plane will be a different story if upgraded.

Unless the domestic flights are long and you think there is a high chance of upgrading, I would not do it because of the added complexity it introduces. separate Online checkins, extra effort in the case of irrops, ...

more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...split-pnr.html