FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:44 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
You're making quite a leap. While that is in the realm of possibility, I take the OP's statement at face value that he served only as a delegate to help manage the respective employees' accounts, not that he was using the accounts to his or his business's benefit.

Agree that it is likely the section that sbm12 quoted which is the relevant passage in this case, as it explicitly states that "Only the member named on the account will be entitled access to account information" and that "No member may delegate or grant access (via power of attorney, contract, or otherwise) to a third party."

Of course, I'm also technically in violation of that provision, as I manage my kids' accounts (they're 6 and 8 - they couldn't care less that they even HAVE accounts, lol), and sometimes my wife's and in-laws' online accounts.
I think you and SBM12 have nailed it. A third party may have been discovered accessing and possibly using/applying/directing some benefits that MP says only the member should be. Although it says nothing about confiscating miles, according to MP T&C #2, violation of any guideline leads to this:

"Participation in the MileagePlus Program (the "Program") is subject to any terms and conditions, rules, regulations, policies and procedures ("Program Rules") that United may, at its discretion, adopt from time to time. United has the sole right to interpret and apply the Program Rules. Any failure to follow Program Rules, United’s contract of carriage, United’s fare rules, any abuse of Program privileges, any violation of law, rule or regulation, any conduct detrimental to the interests of United, any fraudulent activity or attempted fraudulent activity, or any misrepresentation of any information furnished to United or its affiliates by any member, or anyone else acting on the member's behalf, may result in the termination by United of such member’s membership, the loss or cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, or both, or the loss of other Program benefits. Terminated members shall not be eligible to participate in any aspect of the Program, and members whose accounts have been terminated shall not be eligible to enroll with new accounts."