FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yes...I'm trying it again. And no crashes this time!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:34 pm
kevinsac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Yes...I'm trying it again. And no crashes this time!

“A Well-Choreographed and Beautifully-Executed Dismount;
He Just Couldn’t Make the Landing Stick!”

Bicycling Magazine
June 2013

Dear FT Friends --

No, that was not the national sports headline last summer, just weeks after NCAC 2013. But it would have been an appropriate way to document my untimely and painful departure from the ride. I know I made it look good, but the judges surely would have deducted points for the landing!

During the summer of 2012, I made a commitment to change my health, my life, and, ultimately, the lives of many others. For the first time in 40 years, I bought a bike and then I signed up for the Northern California AIDS Cycle, a four-day, 330-mile fundraising bike ride.

The mission of NCAC is to support organizations throughout Northern California that are working to end the HIV/AIDS pandemic and care for those living with and affected by HIV/AIDS in our region.

My first day on my new bike, I struggled with a 6-mile ride. It hurt like hell and I crawled up the stairs on my hands and knees, unsure I would live to see the sun rise again. As days turned to weeks and months, as the first few loops turned into several 100-mile, single-day rides, my training took me along 2,200 miles across the roads of Northern California.

Then the first day of NCAC 2013 arrived. I was ready! The next four days were going to be daunting. I felt good! I knew I could do it! I even was excited as I envisioned finishing the ride four days later, as friends would gather to meet the riders on the grounds of the State Capitol.

Sadly, on the first day, at Mile 62, I crashed my bike. No one is sure exactly how it happened. But I went down – and I went down hard. I broke many bones and had a pretty bad concussion. The following week, I had surgery. I hurt like hell; but more than the physical pain, I was emotionally devastated. I was heartbroken. I trained for 11 months but did not even finish the ride.

The side effects of my concussion lasted three months. And finally, in September, I got back in the saddle. I committed to ride NCAC 2014. The ride is May 15-18, 2014; during these three-and-a-half days, we will ride two consecutive 100-mile treks, an 80-mile route, and will finish with a “short” 50 miles, ending with a big welcoming ceremony on the steps of the Capitol.

When I first signed up for NCAC and told someone what I planned to do, she asked me if I have AIDS. No, I do not have AIDS. Instead, I am riding in support of many who do have this disease…and in honor and memory of friends who have died from the disease.

I want to join the fight against AIDS, just as I support the humane treatment of animals, the greater awareness of breast cancer, and the battle against domestic violence. I support many organizations that provide proactive intervention, public education, and community outreach. And, if during this process, I can help erase the HIV/AIDS stigma just a little, that’s even better.

Cycling is not a cheap sport. I keep “sinking” more and more money into my equipment. Obviously, the more of my own money I commit to cycling, the more dedicated I am going to be. And the more I can get others to donate in support of my ride, the more I will want to follow through, not just for NCAC and for me, but I do this in appreciation of the support others have shown.

So, with that, I am asking you to support my ride by making a contribution to NCAC. It’s very simple; here’s how:
Go to my web page and make a donation directly using your credit card.
In advance, many thanks to all of you! Your financial support will be appreciated greatly ...and your continued encouragement between now and May is needed.

Kevin

Last edited by kevinsac; Jan 22, 2014 at 4:45 pm