FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Experiences/Tips Checking Snow Skis On UA?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:03 am
nwff

Programs: 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by fjfv19
There isn't enough training and I have done the same. In fact, I show up at the airport with that page pre-loaded on my phone. I don't mind as long as... (see below)

...the agents don't know the website also says the bags cannot contain additional items. This is one of those situations where the agents not being trained on all the rules is helpful. I don't stuff the bags full, but you can jam quite a bit of accessories into the boot bag.
The regulations are a bit more nuanced than that. It's the ski boot bag that is not supposed to contain additional items. The ski bag is fine to contain additional items, as long as it's under 50 lbs.

I travel with a hard-sided Sportube double ski case and have never been questioned. (Boots go in a large rolling duffel.) I've not tested the 50 vs. 70 lb allowance as a 1K on the ski tube.

United accepts one item of ski equipment per customer as checked baggage. Ski equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:
  • Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag. (Note: If ski boot bag contains other items in addition to or in place of boots, it will be subject to the applicable checked baggage service charge or excess baggage service charge.)
  • If applicable, the first or second checked baggage service charge applies to ski equipment.
  • Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.
  • Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge....