FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stolen Enterprise rental Mustang has woman facing $47K bill
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:44 am
DC777Fan

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
I always assumed until the contract is offically closed by the rental company the car is my resposibility

Whats to stop me from having a 2nd set of keys made up, drive the car to the lot.Drop the keys in the after hours box and then the folks I gave the new set of keys to, simply walk up and drive away making it look as if they jimmyed the car open. Or what if some kids start throwing some rocks and smash the windshield? Im not saying she was in on it, only reasons why I feel till the company closes the contract out its as if its still in my posssesion.

This is also why at some airports when you return the car they say just pull into a stall and mark down the # and we will eventually get around to checking it in. I Insist that they come out then and there to check the car and close the contract.Too many cases where when the person drove up nothing was wrong but by the time they got around to checking it in someone damaged the car somehow

imo the renters ins company or CC used if it has coverage should be the ones paying Enterprise. Enterprise has to be dumb not to charge the customer least in the end the customer isnt covered by their different ins. Sort of like why a lawyer sues everyone and lets the court or jury decide who is responsible.If they dont and the party they sued is found not guilty the client is so SOL
This is a bad analogy...or at least a bad idea. There's also nothing stopping you from filing a false insurance claim for a piece of "lost jewelry"...it's really easy to do, except that it's illegal.

If there is security footage showing the car being stolen from Enterprise's lot then they should file a claim with their insurance company...it's why they have insurance. If it later turns out this woman was involved in the theft, she should be prosecuted and/or required to pay restitution.