Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen Enterprise rental Mustang has woman facing $47K bill

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Frontier, SWA, Amtrak GR, Best Western, Choice Hotels, Wyndham
Stolen Enterprise rental Mustang has woman facing $47K bill

Excerpt:

At the end of the two-day rental, Cockerill returned the car to the Enterprise rental lot on Portland Street in Dartmouth.

She dropped the car off on a Sunday. Most Enterprise locations in the Halifax region are closed on Sundays and people who need to return vehicles that day are instructed to leave the key in a secure drop box.

The next day, Enterprise called Cockerill. The company had the keys, but no Mustang.

“I was pretty panicked, wondering where this car went, and actually went in to the shop that evening after work just to speak to [the clerk] in person and kind of find out what's happening here,” she said.

Police investigated and determined the vehicle was stolen. That appeared to be the end of it until Monday when Cockerill got a bill from Enterprise for $47,000, the replacement value of the Mustang.

Cockerill's insurer said the car wasn't in her control, so it shouldn't be her problem.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...bill-1.2482273
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by RoboTraveler
Excerpt:

At the end of the two-day rental, Cockerill returned the car to the Enterprise rental lot on Portland Street in Dartmouth.

She dropped the car off on a Sunday. Most Enterprise locations in the Halifax region are closed on Sundays and people who need to return vehicles that day are instructed to leave the key in a secure drop box.

The next day, Enterprise called Cockerill. The company had the keys, but no Mustang.

“I was pretty panicked, wondering where this car went, and actually went in to the shop that evening after work just to speak to [the clerk] in person and kind of find out what's happening here,” she said.

Police investigated and determined the vehicle was stolen. That appeared to be the end of it until Monday when Cockerill got a bill from Enterprise for $47,000, the replacement value of the Mustang.

Cockerill's insurer said the car wasn't in her control, so it shouldn't be her problem.

Why I hate drop boxes at car rental places......deal with a person and get a record of return and a sign-off. You run the same risk with Valet parking when you hand them the keys if its a popular model in a theft prone city.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:59 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Stolen Enterprise Rental Mustang Has Woman Facing $47K Bill

Ms. Cockerill claims that she returned the Mustang she'd rented to the Enterprise rental lot on the day that the rental was due to be back. It just so happened that that day was a Sunday and the location was not opened/staffed. The set policy is for customers to return their vehicles and leave the key in a secure drop box. The following day, key was found in the drop box by staff members, but the car could not be located.

Even though the police have determined that the car was stolen, Enterprise is hoping to charge the cost of a replacement on the credit card that Ms. Cockerill used to rent the Mustang.

That is one hefty bill.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
Ms. Cockerill claims that she returned the Mustang she'd rented to the Enterprise rental lot on the day that the rental was due to be back. It just so happened that that day was a Sunday and the location was not opened/staffed. The set policy is for customers to return their vehicles and leave the key in a secure drop box. The following day, key was found in the drop box by staff members, but the car could not be located.

Even though the police have determined that the car was stolen, Enterprise is hoping to charge the cost of a replacement on the credit card that Ms. Cockerill used to rent the Mustang.

That is one hefty bill.
Hopefully smart enough to use a cc that gives 2X on travel/rental..
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what premise of the Enterprise contract enables them to bill a customer for a car stolen from their lot after it is returned by the customer? Are they disputing she returned it?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Calchas
So what premise of the Enterprise contract enables them to bill a customer for a car stolen from their lot after it is returned by the customer? Are they disputing she returned it?
A standard clause in pretty much every car rental contract states that after hours returns are at the customer's risk and subject to company verification. As far as they are concerned, she only returned the key. Whether that clause is enforceable given that the police verified the car was stolen (and possibly Enterprise's own security video shows it) will be for the courts to decide.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:46 pm

They're just too lazy to make their own insurance claim.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
wouldn't they have camera ??
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:28 pm
Suspended

I always assumed until the contract is offically closed by the rental company the car is my resposibility

Whats to stop me from having a 2nd set of keys made up, drive the car to the lot.Drop the keys in the after hours box and then the folks I gave the new set of keys to, simply walk up and drive away making it look as if they jimmyed the car open. Or what if some kids start throwing some rocks and smash the windshield? Im not saying she was in on it, only reasons why I feel till the company closes the contract out its as if its still in my posssesion.

This is also why at some airports when you return the car they say just pull into a stall and mark down the # and we will eventually get around to checking it in. I Insist that they come out then and there to check the car and close the contract.Too many cases where when the person drove up nothing was wrong but by the time they got around to checking it in someone damaged the car somehow

imo the renters ins company or CC used if it has coverage should be the ones paying Enterprise. Enterprise has to be dumb not to charge the customer least in the end the customer isnt covered by their different ins. Sort of like why a lawyer sues everyone and lets the court or jury decide who is responsible.If they dont and the party they sued is found not guilty the client is so SOL
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Does her regular car insurance not provide coverage in this situation?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by craz
I always assumed until the contract is offically closed by the rental company the car is my resposibility

Whats to stop me from having a 2nd set of keys made up, drive the car to the lot.Drop the keys in the after hours box and then the folks I gave the new set of keys to, simply walk up and drive away making it look as if they jimmyed the car open.
But can't this be done (in unsecured car rental locations) even after the contract has been closed?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by mdpdjx
Does her regular car insurance not provide coverage in this situation?
Who said she has car insurance? My wife frequently rents cars, but she doesn't officially own one (both ours legally belong to me because I get the no-claims bonus) and accordingly she doesn't have any car insurance.

And anyway, would insurance for one's own car really cover theft of someone else's car???
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by craz

Whats to stop me from having a 2nd set of keys made up, drive the car to the lot.Drop the keys in the after hours box and then the folks I gave the new set of keys to, simply walk up and drive away making it look as if they jimmyed the car open. Or what if some kids start throwing some rocks and smash the windshield? Im not saying she was in on it, only reasons why I feel till the company closes the contract out its as if its still in my posssesion.

This is also why at some airports when you return the car they say just pull into a stall and mark down the # and we will eventually get around to checking it in. I Insist that they come out then and there to check the car and close the contract.Too many cases where when the person drove up nothing was wrong but by the time they got around to checking it in someone damaged the car somehow

imo the renters ins company or CC used if it has coverage should be the ones paying Enterprise. Enterprise has to be dumb not to charge the customer least in the end the customer isnt covered by their different ins. Sort of like why a lawyer sues everyone and lets the court or jury decide who is responsible.If they dont and the party they sued is found not guilty the client is so SOL
This is a bad analogy...or at least a bad idea. There's also nothing stopping you from filing a false insurance claim for a piece of "lost jewelry"...it's really easy to do, except that it's illegal.

If there is security footage showing the car being stolen from Enterprise's lot then they should file a claim with their insurance company...it's why they have insurance. If it later turns out this woman was involved in the theft, she should be prosecuted and/or required to pay restitution.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
wouldn't they have camera ??
A lot of these neighborhood rental locations have their cars parked in third party garage. I don't think all of them have a camera. The Avis location I'm usually renting from is located in a shopping mall, while the cars are parked in the mall's garage with no camera at all.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: AC100K, Delta Plat, Nat EX EL, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NEXUS
I think the negative publicity is going to be enough to get Enterprise to quash this but it is started in the terms of the rental. I don't agree with the policy but it is there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.