FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - California Zephyr to Coast Starlight
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:49 am
fairviewroad

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jobtraklite
1. No one is asking Amtrak to guarantee a riskier than needed connection. An AGR member would certainly know enough to bail if #5 were running late. In fact anyone who knows enough about Amtrak not to be forced into changing in SAC would know to bail.
Perhaps. But any connection other than SAC would have to be explicitly (in writing) NOT guaranteed. Because we can all imagine someone on a late-running Zephyr purposely missing the connection, then claiming that Amtrak needs to put them up in a hotel in EMY since the guaranteed connection was broken.

2. #5 is discharge only at SAC and west.
I realize that. But that doesn't mean the person taking the additional joy ride isn't taking up revenue space. If there are two roomettes remaining on #5 heading west out of Denver...and the first roomette is only available to SAC, but the second to EMY, and person #1 is making the connection to #14 in SAC but books himself to EMY, then he is blocking a revenue room from SAC to EMY. If person #2 comes along an hour later and tries to book DEN-EMY it will show up as sold-out. Person #2 says screw it, and hops on Southwest airlines. Thus, the joyride from SAC-EMY has cost Amtrak that revenue and the room from DEN-SAC goes out empty.

Far-fetched scenario? Not really.

3. By your logic AGR shouldn't exist because any reward takes up revenue space.
I believe BelmontRef has adequately explained this.

4. The R in AGR stands for reward not punishment. Getting to bed after midnight waiting for a late CS is punishment in my book.
Then don't book this connection. @:-)