FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - California Zephyr to Coast Starlight
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:26 pm
Reindeerflame

Originally Posted by amamba
I made my reservation last week for travel in March, heading south on the CS and connecting to the CZ. I booked a 3 zone rommette award.

I am contemplating buying coach tickets from SAC to Davis (or Martinez) and back again, but honestly, it is kind of a hassle. The thing that sucks is if the CS is on time, I arrive in SAC at 6 something in the morning. I probably miss breakfast in the diner. Plus I have five hours to kill in SAC which is kind of a long time.

But at the end of the day I am pretty happy that I get a free trip cross country.

I am not sure if the AGR Insider cares to weigh in publicly on this issue.
Everything is relative. Sometimes boardings or transfers occur in the middle of the night. This one is relatively benign.

Five hours in SAC is not too bad: it gives you a welcome break and some fresh air from having been on the first train for a long time.

I would check any hand baggage at the station for a modest fee, and then go have breakfast. There is a Perko's at 3rd and J, about 3 blocks from the station, or, for higher-end fare, Grange at 10th and J in the other direction is a good choice.

After breakfast, you could walk a few blocks to the State Capitol (10th and L), or check out Old Sacramento (adjacent to the station, west of the freeway, with a direct walkway from the station). There is also a shopping center, albeit in a bit of decline, at Downtown Plaza, 5th and K, with a Macys.

Before you know it, it will be time to return to the station for Train 6 and a nice trip across the Sierra Nevada.