FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 100% Share promo Dec 02 to Dec 06
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:46 am
sfernando

Originally Posted by Plissken
Hey guys,

being more of an hotel buff myself I hope you can help me to figure this out as i want to avoid making a bad investment.

My wife and I have to fly HKG-Germany-HKG soon. We have no Account with UA but would plan to use the miles for another *A carrier. Is it correct that if we both buy 50.000 miles for 567$ each and share those, we both end up with 100k miles more than enough for a round trip C3-C2-C3 ? Sounds a bit to good to be true except for the availability of award flights...

Thanks for clarifying!
Note the restriction about longevity of account activation above. For further clarity, buying and sharing are two separate transactions with separate costs.

Right now, it will cost you $1750 plus taxes and fees to purchase 50K miles; then another $567.50 to share those 50K miles to your wife's account, and another $567.50 for her to share 50K miles back to you. You would each end up with 50K miles at a total cost of just over $3,000--not a good deal at all.

I'd suggest you go ahead and open USDM accounts in your respective names now, then wait for a 100% bonus buy miles promo that will likely come around soon enough, the US-AA merger notwithstanding. Buying 50K miles each then will yield $100K miles in each account with the bonuses at a cost of slightly more than $3,600.