FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:07 pm
robyng
In memoriam

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Orchard road is basically the main shopping area of Singapore - not much within walking distance apart from loads of malls and the Botanical Gardens. Marina Bay is close to the water so there are walks along the waterfront, the riverside and the main Colonial sights within walking distance or at least a very short taxi ride. The Shangri-La does have a very nice pool and tropical gardens so that might suit - wasn't impressed by the FS but we haven't stayed there.

There is lots to do in Singapore so you don't actually have to move if you're happy just relaxing - I just thought as you were so close to Bali it might be interesting to visit for a few days - Ubud is in the centre of the island and there are very nice properties which are much debated on here. Anyway I've just seen that you're only there for 6 nights which is perfect to do a bit of sightseeing and a bit of relaxing. BTW my husband goes to the zoo every time we're in Singapore as he loves it. There's also the night safari if you like animals.
There's this new River Park too (not 100% finished yet - but it should be finished by the time we get to Singapore):

http://www.riversafari.com.sg/

We used to be able to explore "real" nature (like in Costa Rica - or canoeing up the Suwannee River in Florida). Can't do it physically any more. So these tamer attractions will have to do.

Where is it easier to walk to/take short cab rides to restaurants? Orchard Road or Marina Bay? I live in a very suburban area now (and lived in waterfront condos for 20+ years in Miami). So the idea of being in the middle of a big nice shopping district sounds kind of good to me - even if all I do is window shopping - especially if there are good restaurants in the area .

BTW - we're spending 7 nights - 6 full days (arrival is late on day 1 and departure is early on day 8).

What did you see at the FS that didn't impress you? I've also been looking at the RC - because of the club floor (the last time we stayed at a RC with a club floor was at RC Berlin - and we had an excellent stay there). But the reports of group tour bookings at the RC puts me off. Also - we can get a bigger accommodation at the FS for less money than the RC (although there's no club floor at the FS - we get in-room breakfast there and some other perks through a FSPP booking). I took a look at the MO as well. And - IIRC - it's more expensive than the FS and the RC. I've only stayed in a MO once - in Munich - and it was quite nice (with some glitches due to ongoing construction). But my experience with the organization is limited to that one stay.

FWIW - although some people questioned our choice of FS Tokyo (for a second stay) - it was ^^^. Especially in terms of service (which is super important to us). Both after and pre-arrival (e.g., having the concierge book restaurant reservations before we get there). Although I have sometimes been disappointed with the "hard product" at various older North America US FS properties (like Austin Texas) - I have never been disappointed with the service. So I guess FS is pretty much my default absent a compelling reason to choose another chain. Robyn