Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Just spent the last two nights at the Shangri La Valley Wing. IMHO, still tops in Singapore for rooms and service.
+1
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:44 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Four Seasons Singapore, while not a great FS, is connected to Orchard Street by a relatively short passageway through another hotel (a Hilton, I believe). So if it's a bargain rate-wise it would meet your location requirement.
What in your opinion makes it not a great FS? Robyn
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:05 pm
In memoriam

I'm Looking For A Luxury Hotel In Singapore

Here's what I want.

Good location (still haven't figured out locations in Singapore).

Comfy well appointed rooms.

Excellent service.

Virtuoso or FSPP amenities.

Here's what I don't care about at all.

Free laundry (I usually pack enough clothes for a trip - and can pay a bit if I run out of clothes).

Free internet (it's nice but if I have to pay $15 more so be it).

Breakfast buffets (I don't eat breakfast and my husband loathes buffets).

Also what I don't like.

"Hotels within hotels". A luxury hotel should be a luxury hotel end to end. I've read some comments on TA about how the RC is apparently taking tour groups now - at big discounts. Sure - I could stay on the Club Floors there - but I don't think I want to spend $600-800+ for that when most of the guests in the hotel are paying a fraction of that. Because most of the service in the hotel has to suffer when that happens.

In light of those comments - does anyone have any suggestions for us? Robyn
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robyng
What in your opinion makes it not a great FS? Robyn
Well, for starters, the last time I stayed there -- admittedly some time ago -- they just forgot to clean my room one day! When I pointed it out to them at about 6pm, they came but there was no recovery from management (who of course I contacted). That really stuck in my mind.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:11 am

With regard to hotels in Singapore I don't think you want to be close to Orchard Rd where the FS is unless you want to stay at the S-La in the Valley Wing - I think the Marina Bay area is best for tourists. Regardless of where you stay though taxis are easy and cheap in Singapore. The Fullerton Bay which is in the Old Post Office building is in a great position as is the newer Fullerton Bay Hotel. I haven't stayed at either of these but I have at the Ritz Carlton Millenia in a club room - the rooms there are very nice and the club is great. I've also stayed at the Mandarin which was good - I think it has been refurbished since my stay a few years ago. Of course there is also Raffles but I haven't stayed there since it was refurbished several years ago!

Is this your first visit to Singapore Robyn - will you combine your stay with another destination? I know beaches don't interest you much but if you haven't been to Bali a stay in Ubud would be interesting for you.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

H
In light of those comments - does anyone have any suggestions for us? Robyn
Shangri-La Valley Wing. It is not a hotel within a hotel in that it is a completely separate property with its own management and staff connected to the Shangri-La by a walkway- you do not even enter from the same street.

This will meet your needs in Singapore and in addition has a location very close to the Four Seasons so if that area of Sing is where you want to be you should be satisfied.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Shangri-La Valley Wing. It is not a hotel within a hotel in that it is a completely separate property with its own management and staff connected to the Shangri-La by a walkway- you do not even enter from the same street.
I'm at the Shangri-La next month, just for one night en route to Auckland, so I'm content with the basic tower room our cruise line has booked for us. Last time we stayed there the Valley Wing wasn't even built. I can see that the rooms look very nice but I'm assuming Valley Wing guests use the same pool and the same restaurants as the 'plebs' in the cheaper rooms?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I'm at the Shangri-La next month, just for one night en route to Auckland, so I'm content with the basic tower room our cruise line has booked for us. Last time we stayed there the Valley Wing wasn't even built. I can see that the rooms look very nice but I'm assuming Valley Wing guests use the same pool and the same restaurants as the 'plebs' in the cheaper rooms?
Same pool, which is massive as is the area surrounding the pool.

Restaurants, Yes and No. The Valley Wing has its own breakfast room which offers a small buffet with mains cooked to order. One is, however, free to use the main restaurant in the main building as an alternative as the breakfast room in the Valley Wing can be busy at times. Free drinks throughout the day and evening and canapes are taken within the Valley Wing lobby.

The restaurants in the main wing (including the main restaurant) are actually very good.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:55 am

Thanks for the info, Kettering.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:54 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
With regard to hotels in Singapore I don't think you want to be close to Orchard Rd where the FS is unless you want to stay at the S-La in the Valley Wing - I think the Marina Bay area is best for tourists...
Why do you think that? I'd appreciate your humming a few bars about what's near Orchard Street and what's near Marina Bay?

Is this your first visit to Singapore Robyn - will you combine your stay with another destination? I know beaches don't interest you much but if you haven't been to Bali a stay in Ubud would be interesting for you.
Yes - it's a first trip. Beaches really aren't our cup of tea. But we do enjoy a swim in a nice pool and a drink with a little umbrella at the end of a steamy tropical day .

FWIW - I was starting to think that we might be bored in Singapore with our planned 6 day stay. But - when I read about the zoo - the new River Park - the bird watching - etc. - well we like that kind of stuff and it will keep us busy. I may even have to take my nicer (bigger) camera with me instead of my purse-size one. Robyn
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Why do you think that? I'd appreciate your humming a few bars about what's near Orchard Street and what's near Marina Bay?

Yes - it's a first trip. Beaches really aren't our cup of tea. But we do enjoy a swim in a nice pool and a drink with a little umbrella at the end of a steamy tropical day .

FWIW - I was starting to think that we might be bored in Singapore with our planned 6 day stay. But - when I read about the zoo - the new River Park - the bird watching - etc. - well we like that kind of stuff and it will keep us busy. I may even have to take my nicer (bigger) camera with me instead of my purse-size one. Robyn
The Night Safari is well worth doing - go by taxi (it's cheap) and go early as there's plenty to see and do.

Personally, I think 6 days is quite a long time for Singapore, I think you can do it in 4 days - it's surprisingly compact and easy to get around.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:22 pm

Orchard road is basically the main shopping area of Singapore - not much within walking distance apart from loads of malls and the Botanical Gardens. Marina Bay is close to the water so there are walks along the waterfront, the riverside and the main Colonial sights within walking distance or at least a very short taxi ride. The Shangri-La does have a very nice pool and tropical gardens so that might suit - wasn't impressed by the FS but we haven't stayed there.

There is lots to do in Singapore so you don't actually have to move if you're happy just relaxing - I just thought as you were so close to Bali it might be interesting to visit for a few days - Ubud is in the centre of the island and there are very nice properties which are much debated on here. Anyway I've just seen that you're only there for 6 nights which is perfect to do a bit of sightseeing and a bit of relaxing. BTW my husband goes to the zoo every time we're in Singapore as he loves it. There's also the night safari if you like animals.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:07 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Orchard road is basically the main shopping area of Singapore - not much within walking distance apart from loads of malls and the Botanical Gardens. Marina Bay is close to the water so there are walks along the waterfront, the riverside and the main Colonial sights within walking distance or at least a very short taxi ride. The Shangri-La does have a very nice pool and tropical gardens so that might suit - wasn't impressed by the FS but we haven't stayed there.

There is lots to do in Singapore so you don't actually have to move if you're happy just relaxing - I just thought as you were so close to Bali it might be interesting to visit for a few days - Ubud is in the centre of the island and there are very nice properties which are much debated on here. Anyway I've just seen that you're only there for 6 nights which is perfect to do a bit of sightseeing and a bit of relaxing. BTW my husband goes to the zoo every time we're in Singapore as he loves it. There's also the night safari if you like animals.
There's this new River Park too (not 100% finished yet - but it should be finished by the time we get to Singapore):

http://www.riversafari.com.sg/

We used to be able to explore "real" nature (like in Costa Rica - or canoeing up the Suwannee River in Florida). Can't do it physically any more. So these tamer attractions will have to do.

Where is it easier to walk to/take short cab rides to restaurants? Orchard Road or Marina Bay? I live in a very suburban area now (and lived in waterfront condos for 20+ years in Miami). So the idea of being in the middle of a big nice shopping district sounds kind of good to me - even if all I do is window shopping - especially if there are good restaurants in the area .

BTW - we're spending 7 nights - 6 full days (arrival is late on day 1 and departure is early on day 8).

What did you see at the FS that didn't impress you? I've also been looking at the RC - because of the club floor (the last time we stayed at a RC with a club floor was at RC Berlin - and we had an excellent stay there). But the reports of group tour bookings at the RC puts me off. Also - we can get a bigger accommodation at the FS for less money than the RC (although there's no club floor at the FS - we get in-room breakfast there and some other perks through a FSPP booking). I took a look at the MO as well. And - IIRC - it's more expensive than the FS and the RC. I've only stayed in a MO once - in Munich - and it was quite nice (with some glitches due to ongoing construction). But my experience with the organization is limited to that one stay.

FWIW - although some people questioned our choice of FS Tokyo (for a second stay) - it was ^^^. Especially in terms of service (which is super important to us). Both after and pre-arrival (e.g., having the concierge book restaurant reservations before we get there). Although I have sometimes been disappointed with the "hard product" at various older North America US FS properties (like Austin Texas) - I have never been disappointed with the service. So I guess FS is pretty much my default absent a compelling reason to choose another chain. Robyn
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any luxury hotel should be able and willing to book restaurant reservations before you arrive. This is not special service.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:52 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any luxury hotel should be able and willing to book restaurant reservations before you arrive. This is not special service.
Agree 100%. But sometimes hotels don't deliver what they promise/should deliver.

BTW - just curious - what is the "culture of service" in Singapore in general? In Japan - it's kind of an art form based on experience. In other countries in Asia - perhaps not so much? The only country I've ever been in in Asia is Japan (I've been in Israel - but - whether it's in Asia or Africa is a topic of dispute - and - no matter where Israel is in terms of continents - it's kind of in left field in terms of Asia or Africa in general). Robyn

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.