FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyertalk/Vielfliegertreff and Lufthansa Dialog 2013 event
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:08 pm
gojko88

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kleffen
The majority of the people travelling today do not care about lounges, IFE, seat-pitch etc. They just want to get to their destination for their holiday or whatever...
I vehemently disagree. The need for this kind of upgraded service is exactly what's keeping LH (and other legacy airlines) afloat. If they continue down the LCC path, they'll lose, because you can't out-LCC an LCC - they're better at what they do. I see today's civil aviation industry situation as the equivalent of the dilemma between austerity and fiscal stimulus in finance. Either you retrench and try to weather the storm, or you do your utmost to optimise and improve your offering, so as to make a very clear distinction between the value of your product and the value of cheaper products. People are too clever in the 21st century to be misguided by marketing talk. True, not everyone is on FT, but people will still turn to Skytrax and TripAdvisor reviews when comparing products and prices for their travel.

I find the admitted shift to a transactional model absolutely horrendous and wouldn't be surprised if it causes LH serious damage in the long run. It's been common business knowledge for over 80 years that short-term profit orientation is a deadly sin. Maybe I'm too optimistic and the industry is so competitive that there's no other option. We'll see soon enough.